How to slow down a 1.5-3v motors RPMs?

• Thread starter -WidgeT-
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motors
In summary, the person had originally posted a question that went unanswered, but after doing some research, they found the answer. They then had a new question about using a motor as a winch and needing to slow it down. They also mentioned wanting the motor to lock when the current is removed. The conversation also included a link to a video about a mechanical geocache and a suggestion to use a motor with attached gears for better torque. The person also mentioned that a worm gear could solve both problems.
-WidgeT-
Ok so I posted a question before and it didn't get answered, however I am very tenacious and read around on the net for about 4 hours and finally got my answer. My new question is this: I went to Radio Shack and bought a 1.5-3v motor, I have tested it and it works with my AA battery (as I expected it should). Now my newest problem to arise is that since I am using the motor to act as a winch if you will, I need to slow it down.. Even with a much wider apparatus on the spindle it still is much to fast to do what I want it to do without damaging the motor itself or the actual item to be lowered.. Also, the motor doesn't lock when the current is removed, is there a way I can set it up to do that also..?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45tti49rnNM
Mechanical Geocache
That is the function of the motor only my container may be slightly larger..

Thanks in advanced
-WidgeT-

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Toy and hobby stores sell motors with attached gears. They are just plastic gears, but probably rugged enough if your load is not too great.

This is better than trying to slow down a motor with reduced voltages or pulse width modulation as the gears produce much better torque.

A worm gear should solve both problems.

1. How do I decrease the RPM of a 1.5-3v motor?

To slow down the RPM of a 1.5-3v motor, you can use a voltage divider circuit to lower the input voltage. This will decrease the speed of the motor without affecting its torque.

2. Can I use a resistor to slow down the motor's RPM?

Yes, you can use a resistor in a voltage divider circuit to decrease the input voltage and slow down the motor's RPM. However, be sure to choose a resistor with the appropriate resistance value to avoid damaging the motor.

3. Is it possible to control the motor's RPM without changing the input voltage?

Yes, you can use a pulse width modulation (PWM) circuit to control the motor's RPM without changing the input voltage. This method involves rapidly turning the motor on and off at varying intervals, which affects the overall speed of the motor.

4. Can I adjust the motor's RPM by changing the gear ratio?

Yes, changing the gear ratio can also slow down the motor's RPM. By using a larger gear on the motor's shaft and a smaller gear on the load, the motor will have to rotate more times to complete one rotation of the load, resulting in a slower RPM.

5. Are there any other methods to decrease the motor's RPM?

Aside from using a voltage divider, resistor, PWM circuit, or changing the gear ratio, you can also try using a voltage regulator or a motor controller. These devices can help you control the motor's RPM more precisely.