Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to slow down a 1.5-3v motors RPMs?

1. Apr 25, 2012 #1
    Ok so I posted a question before and it didn't get answered, however I am very tenacious and read around on the net for about 4 hours and finally got my answer. My new question is this: I went to Radio Shack and bought a 1.5-3v motor, I have tested it and it works with my AA battery (as I expected it should). Now my newest problem to arise is that since I am using the motor to act as a winch if you will, I need to slow it down.. Even with a much wider apparatus on the spindle it still is much to fast to do what I want it to do without damaging the motor itself or the actual item to be lowered.. Also, the motor doesn't lock when the current is removed, is there a way I can set it up to do that also..?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45tti49rnNM
    Mechanical Geocache
    That is the function of the motor only my container may be slightly larger..

Thanks in advanced
    -WidgeT-

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2012 #2

vk6kro

Science Advisor

Toy and hobby stores sell motors with attached gears. They are just plastic gears, but probably rugged enough if your load is not too great.

This is better than trying to slow down a motor with reduced voltages or pulse width modulation as the gears produce much better torque.

4. Apr 25, 2012 #3
    A worm gear should solve both problems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook