How to Solve the Equation 1^x?

• Thread starter Tombow2558
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation (1+x)^x = x and its solution. The left hand side is not defined for certain values of x, and the right hand side can never equal the left hand side. Therefore, the equation has no solution. There was also confusion about the question being asked due to an edit in the title.
Tombow2558
How can I solve this equation ?
Thanks

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
it is one for all rational x, and hence, if we've any intent on it being continuous it is 1 for all real x, a non-rigorous explanation admittedly but it agrees with the proper exp{xlog1} definition.

For people who have not spotted there was an edit in the title that has not shown up on the main board. The question s/he is now asking is how to solve:

[tex](1 + x)^x = x[/tex]

Did Tombow2885 edit to change to question or was mattgrime just responding to the title?

The question I see is to solve (1+x)x= x.

The left hand side is not defined for x< -1. If -1< x< 0, the left hand side is positive and so cannot equal x. The left hand side is not defined for x= 0.
If 0< x< 1, the right hand side is larger than 1 and so cannot equal x. If x= 1, the equation becomes 2= 1 which is clearly not true.

If x> 1 (1+x)x> 1+x and so cannot be equal to x.

You can't solve the equation, it has no solution.

matt grime said:
it is one for all rational x, and hence, if we've any intent on it being continuous it is 1 for all real x, a non-rigorous explanation admittedly but it agrees with the proper exp{xlog1} definition.
Oh, I am sorry matt, because the titles still the same even when I edited, I also didn't see your post, okey :wink:, thanks for your answer. :)

I responded to the original question which asked what 1^x was for x a positive real number.

1. What does "1^x" mean in this context?

"1^x" means that 1 is raised to the power of x. This is a mathematical notation used to represent an exponential function.

2. How do I solve "1^x"?

Since 1 raised to any power is still 1, the solution to "1^x" is always 1.

3. Can I use any value for x when solving "1^x"?

Yes, you can use any real number for x when solving "1^x". However, the solution will always be 1.

4. Are there any tips for solving "1^x"?

Since the solution is always 1, there is no need for specific tips for solving "1^x". However, you can simplify the expression by canceling out the exponent, which will always result in 1.

5. Can you provide an example of solving "1^x"?

For example, if x = 5, then "1^x" would be solved as 1^5, which equals 1. Similarly, if x = 0, then "1^x" would be solved as 1^0, which also equals 1.