How to Solve a Nonlinear ODE with a Complex Threshold

In summary, the conversation discussed a nonlinear ODE with a simple form of f(t) and the possibility of finding an analytical solution or approximation. Various methods, such as successive approximations, numerical integration, and Picard iteration, were suggested. The use of a look-up table was also mentioned but it was noted that the form of f(t) is constantly changing. The conversation ended with a clarification of the ODE and its parameters.
donifan
A "simple" nonlinear ode

Hi
Does anyone see a way to solve/approximate this ODE?

dy'=exp(-f(t)y) with y(0)=yo

f(t) can be as simple as c*t^3/2 but it may be more complex. This came out as the solution of a very complex problem. This is the final threshold.

Thanks,

Donifan

Physics news on Phys.org

You might try using successive approximations, as follows:
[tex]y_1(t) = y0[/tex]
[tex]y_2(t) = y0 + \int_0^t e^{-f(t')y_1(t')}dt'[/tex]
[tex]y_3(t) = y0 + \int_0^t e^{-f(t')y_2(t')}dt'[/tex]
[tex]y_4(t) = y0 + \int_0^t e^{-f(t')y_3(t')}dt'[/tex]

And so on. If f(t) is well behaved, this can converge fairly quickly.

phyzguy said:
You might try using successive approximations, as follows:
[tex]y_1(t) = y0[/tex]
[tex]y_2(t) = y0 + \int_0^t e^{-f(t')y_1(t')}dt'[/tex]
[tex]y_3(t) = y0 + \int_0^t e^{-f(t')y_2(t')}dt'[/tex]
[tex]y_4(t) = y0 + \int_0^t e^{-f(t')y_3(t')}dt'[/tex]

And so on. If f(t) is well behaved, this can converge fairly quickly.

I believe your y0 should be [itex] y_{n-1}(t) [/itex] when writing out the equation for [itex] y_n(t) [/itex]

I assume you're doing Picard iteration?

Thanks for the suggestion. However even for the simple case of f=t^3/2, y_2 is already a nasty function. I'll keep trying.

Do you need an analytic solution, or is a numerical integration adequate? For your t^3/2 case, the successive approximations converge after 2-3 iterations if you do the integrations numerically.

For a numerical approximation you can typically use Runge-Kutta.

Sorry about the confusion. Yes, I am looking for an analytical solution/approximation. I agree the numerical solution is actually simple. Thanks!

You've got me confused at "analytical approximation"... what is that?

An analytical solution gets very complex in a hurry.

Analytical approximation would be something like a solution of a different but related problem, so the order of the error can be estimated.

I know. The analytical solution by the Picard method is pretty much impossible.

Maybe there is no solution however the equation seems so simple a compact that you almost feel there should be substitution/trick that quickly solves it, at least for f=c t^3/2.

Thanks.

Can't you also estimate the error with Runge-Kutta?
How would any analytical approximation, like Picard's method I guess, be better?

The answer is simple: time. An analytical approximation is faster. The solution is suppose to be part of a humongous code that cannot spare a microsecond.

P.S. When I said error, I meant from the approximated analytical solution to the actual solution.

How about this: Even faster than an analytic solution is a look-up table. Given f(t), solve the equation numerically, then build a look-up table with interpolation that returns y given t. This is typically quite fast. Can this work? Is f(t) a given, or is f(t) constantly changing?

The form of f(t) is

[itex] f(t) = (a^{2} +b t)^{3/2} - a^3 [/itex]

a and b are constantly changing. The simplest case is a=0. In principle a look up table would work, but I was wondering if a more elegant solution can be reached.

Thanks.

Just realized there is a typo (there is a d before y' that is no suppose to be there). So the whole problem is

[itex]y'=\exp[-f(t)y][/itex] with [itex]y(0)=y_0[/itex]

and

[itex]f(t) = (a^{2} +b t)^{3/2} - a^3[/itex]

Thanks.

Related to How to Solve a Nonlinear ODE with a Complex Threshold

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that describes how a variable changes over time, based on its current value and its rate of change.

2. What makes an ODE nonlinear?

An ODE is considered nonlinear if the dependent variable and its derivatives are not directly proportional to each other. In other words, the rate of change of the variable is not a constant multiple of the variable itself.

3. How is a nonlinear ODE different from a linear ODE?

A linear ODE can be solved analytically using methods such as separation of variables or integrating factors. Nonlinear ODEs, on the other hand, typically require numerical methods to approximate a solution.

4. Can a nonlinear ODE have multiple solutions?

Yes, a nonlinear ODE can have multiple solutions. This is because the behavior of the dependent variable is not directly determined by the initial conditions, but rather by the nonlinear relationship between the variable and its derivatives.

5. What are some real-life applications of nonlinear ODEs?

Nonlinear ODEs are used to model a wide range of real-world phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and fluid dynamics. They are also commonly used in engineering and physics to describe the behavior of complex systems.