How to solve an exponential equation

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponential
In summary: The first is a number, which you could take the logarithm of. The second is a product involving ##x## which you cannot take the logarithm of (at least not without knowing more about ##x##).In summary, the conversation discussed solving for x in the equation 8100(\frac{7}{6})^{x} = 11,000. The correct answer was found using logarithms, but the previous attempt did not work because the expression on the lefthand side was incorrect. Dividing both sides by 8100 first would simplify the problem and make it easier to solve.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Solve for x: 8100([itex]\frac{7}{6}[/itex])[itex]^{x}[/itex] = 11,000

2. The attempt at a solution

x = log[itex]_{9450}[/itex](11,000) = 1.02

I know this is not the right answer, but I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did the 9450 come from?

EDIT: Never mind. I figured it out.

Just take the natural log of both sides:
$$\ln \left[8100\left(\frac 76\right)^x\right] = \ln 11000.$$ What do you get when you use the properties of logarithms to expand the lefthand side?

(You could divide both sides by 8100 first, and then take the log of both sides.)

vela said:
Where did the 9450 come from?

EDIT: Never mind. I figured it out.

Just take the natural log of both sides:
$$\ln \left[8100\left(\frac 76\right)^x\right] = \ln 11000.$$ What do you get when you use the properties of logarithms to expand the lefthand side?

(You could divide both sides by 8100 first, and then take the log of both sides.)

Thank you, I solved it. the answer is approximately 2. However, why didn't my previous attempt work? What was wrong about it?

Because ##x = \log_{9450} 11000## corresponds to the exponential equation ##9450^x = 11000##, but ##9450^x = \left(8100\times \frac 76\right)^x = 8100^x \left(\frac 76\right)^x##. The last expression, though similar, doesn't match what you started with on the lefthand side.

Likes 1 person
It would be simpler, and less error prone, to first divide both sides by 8100:
[tex]\left(\frac{7}{6}\right)^x= \frac{11000}{8100}= \frac{110}{81}[/tex]

Now take the logarithm of both sides.

Likes 1 person
[tex]8100\left(\frac{7}{6}\right)^x[/tex]
is NOT the same as
[tex]\left(8100*\frac{7}{6}\right)^x[/tex]

1. What is an exponential equation?

An exponential equation is an equation in which the variable appears in an exponent. It is typically written in the form y = ab^x, where a and b are constants and x is the variable. Exponential equations are commonly used to model growth or decay over time.

2. How do I solve an exponential equation?

To solve an exponential equation, you can use the properties of logarithms or take the logarithm of both sides of the equation. Once you have isolated the variable on one side of the equation, you can solve for it using basic algebraic techniques.

3. What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving an exponential equation?

One common mistake is forgetting to take the logarithm of both sides of the equation. Another mistake is not using the correct properties of logarithms, such as the product rule or the power rule. It is also important to check for extraneous solutions, which can occur when taking the logarithm of both sides.

4. Can an exponential equation have more than one solution?

Yes, an exponential equation can have more than one solution. Depending on the values of the constants a and b, there may be one, two, or even an infinite number of solutions. It is important to check your solution to make sure it is valid for the given equation.

5. How are exponential equations used in real life?

Exponential equations are used in many real-life situations, such as population growth, compound interest, and radioactive decay. They can also be used to model the spread of diseases or the growth of bacteria. Understanding how to solve exponential equations is important for analyzing and predicting these types of phenomena.