How to Solve dx/dt = Adx/dy + Bdx^2/dy^2

• Thread starter Peregrine
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to solve a partial differential equation using methods such as the diffusion equation and LaPlace Transform. However, these methods are not suitable for the given equation and the suggestion of using separation of variables is given, ultimately leading to a successful solution.
Peregrine
Hello, I am trying to solve the following equation:

[tex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial t} = A \frac{ \partial x}{\partial y} + B \frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial y^2}[/tex]

I know how to solve the diffusion equation (i.e. no dx/dy term), but that method doesn't work here. I tried to go with the LaPlace Transform route, but I got an ugly term of the following form:

[tex]\frac{-A-\sqrt{4 B s+A^2}}{2B} y [/tex]

Which I can't find a handy inverse LaPlace for, and which Mathematica doesn't give a real answer to.

Any suggestions how to approach this? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, try with a separation of variables thingy, i.e:
[tex]x(y,t)=F(y)*G(t)[/tex]

Thanks, that did the trick; nothing like forgetting day one of PDE class!

1. What does dx/dt represent in the equation?

The derivative dx/dt represents the rate of change of the variable x with respect to time. It is often used to model the change of a quantity over time.

2. How do you solve an equation with both first and second order derivatives?

To solve an equation with both first and second order derivatives, we can use the method of separation of variables. This involves isolating the variables on either side of the equation and then integrating both sides with respect to the appropriate variable.

3. What is the significance of the constants A and B in the equation?

The constants A and B represent the coefficients of the first and second order derivatives, respectively. They have an effect on the behavior and stability of the solution to the equation.

4. Can this equation be solved analytically or does it require numerical methods?

This equation can be solved analytically if it can be separated into simpler equations. However, in most cases, it requires numerical methods to find an approximate solution due to the complexity of the equation.

5. What are the applications of this type of differential equation in science?

This type of differential equation is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other sciences to model systems that involve rates of change. It can be used to study phenomena such as population growth, chemical reactions, and fluid dynamics.