How to Solve Logarithmic Equation log4x-log4(x+3)=-1?

• MHB
  • Thread starter arl2267
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithmic
In summary, we are given the equation log4x-log4(x+3)=-1 and we simplify it to log4(x/(x+3))=-1 using logarithmic properties. Then, using the definition of a logarithm, we get 4^-1=x/(x+3). After simplifying, we get x=1 as the solution.
arl2267
log4x-log4(x+3)=-1

This is what I have so far:

=log4(x)(x-3)=-1
=(x)(x-3)= 4-1
=(x)(x-3)= 1/4
= x2+3x-1/4=0

Now do I use the quadratic equation to solve? Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
We are given to solve:

$\displaystyle \log_4(x)-\log_4(x+3)=-1$

We want to first apply the logarithmic property:

$\displaystyle \log_a(b)-\log_a(c)=\log_a\left(\frac{b}{c} \right)$

What does this give us?

I already solved part of the equation, I'm just not sure what to do once I get to

= x2+3x-1/4=0

When I solve using the quadratic equation after this I end up with:

-3 +/- 2squareroot2/2

arl2267 said:
I already solved part of the equation, I'm just not sure what to do once I get to

= x2+3x-1/4=0

When I solve using the quadratic equation after this I end up with:

-3 +/- 2squareroot2/2

That's not the equation you should solve.

$\displaystyle \log_4(x)-\log_4(x+3)=-1$. Using MarkFL's suggestion we simplify this to \(\displaystyle \log_{4}\left( \frac{x}{x+3} \right)=-1\). Using the definition of a logarithm this becomes \(\displaystyle 4^{-1}=\frac{x}{x+3}\).

Can you finish from here?

Do I multiply each side by 1/4?

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{4}=\frac{x}{x+3}\)

Here you can simplify a few ways. Maybe you're familiar with the idea of cross-multiplication of fractions.

\(\displaystyle 1(x+3)=4x\) or simply \(\displaystyle x+3=4x\)

So the answer is x=1?

Related to How to Solve Logarithmic Equation log4x-log4(x+3)=-1?

What are logarithmic equations?

Logarithmic equations are equations that involve logarithms, which are mathematical functions that represent the inverse of exponential functions. They are used to solve for unknown variables in equations where the variable is in the exponent.

What is the purpose of using logarithmic equations?

The purpose of using logarithmic equations is to solve for unknown variables in exponential equations. They are also used in fields such as science, engineering, and finance to model and analyze data that increases or decreases exponentially.

How do you solve logarithmic equations?

To solve a logarithmic equation, you need to use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the equation into a simpler form. Then, isolate the variable on one side of the equation and take the inverse logarithm of both sides to solve for the variable.

What are the common properties of logarithms used in solving logarithmic equations?

The common properties of logarithms used in solving logarithmic equations are the product rule, quotient rule, power rule, and change of base rule. These properties allow us to rewrite logarithmic expressions and equations in a simplified form.

What are some real-world applications of logarithmic equations?

Logarithmic equations have various real-world applications, such as calculating earthquake magnitudes, measuring the level of sound or light, predicting population growth, and analyzing financial data. They are also used in chemistry to measure pH levels and in biology to study the growth of bacteria and other organisms.