How to solve this definite integral?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a specific integral using integration by substitution. The integrand is written in terms of an incomplete gamma function, which can be simplified and integrated using a change of variables. The final solution involves a combination of terms including the incomplete gamma function, the Whittaker function, and other terms.
Ad VanderVen
TL;DR Summary
How to solve the integral ##\int_{0}^{x}\!-{\frac {\lambda\,{{\rm e}^{-\lambda\,t}}{\beta}^{\alpha} \left( -\lambda+\beta \right) ^{-\alpha} \left( -\Gamma \left( \alpha \right) +\Gamma \left( \alpha, \left( -\lambda+\beta \right) t \right) \right)}{\Gamma \left( \alpha \right) }}\,{\rm d}t##
I would like to solve the integral underneath:

$$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{x}\!-{\frac {\lambda\,{{\rm e}^{-\lambda\,t}}{\beta}^{\alpha} \left( -\lambda+\beta \right) ^{-\alpha} \left( -\Gamma \left( \alpha \right) +\Gamma \left( \alpha, \left( -\lambda+\beta \right) t \right) \right)}{\Gamma \left( \alpha \right) }}\,{\rm d}t$$

I tried it before using Integration by Substitution, but that didn't help either.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The integrand is written as
[tex]Ae^{-\lambda t}+Be^{-\lambda t}\Gamma (\alpha ,Ct)[/tex]
The first term is easy to integrate. What is two variable function of ##\Gamma(\alpha, Ct)## you wrote ?

[EDIT] It is an incomplete gamma function.

Last edited:
The only non-trivial part is [tex]
\int_0^x e^{-\lambda t} \Gamma(\alpha, kt)\,dt
= \frac 1k \int_0^{kx} e^{-\mu s}\Gamma(\alpha, s)\,ds
[/tex] where [itex]k = \beta - \lambda[/itex] and [itex]\mu = \lambda/k[/itex]. Now [tex]
\Gamma(\alpha, s) = \int_s^\infty t^{\alpha - 1} e^{-t}\,dt = \Gamma(\alpha) - \int_0^s t^{\alpha - 1} e^{-t}\,dt[/tex] so [tex]
\int_0^{X} e^{-\mu s} \Gamma(\alpha, s)\,ds = \int_0^X e^{-\mu s} \Gamma(\alpha)\,ds -
\int_0^X \int_0^s e^{-\mu s - t} t^{\alpha - 1}\,dt\,ds.[/tex] The first integral is trivial; in the second we can set [tex](u,v) = (\mu s + t, t)[/tex] and we find that [tex]
\int_0^X \int_0^s e^{-\mu s - t} t^{\alpha - 1}\,dt\,ds = \frac{1}{\mu}\int_0^{X}
\int_{u/(1+ \mu)}^u e^{-u} v^{\alpha - 1}\,dv\,du
+ \frac{1}{\mu} \int_X^{(1 + \mu)X} \int_{u/(1 + \mu)}^X e^{-u} v^{\alpha - 1}\,dv\,du[/tex] and after doing the inner integral over [itex]v[/itex] you will be left with integrals of [itex]e^{-u}[/itex] (trivial) and [itex]e^{-u} u^\alpha[/itex] (expressible in terms of incomplete gamma functions).

EDIT: The limits should be [itex]0 \leq u \leq (1 + \mu)X[/itex] and [itex]\max\{0, u - \mu X\} \leq v \leq u/(1 + \mu)[/itex]. That introduces a term of the form [tex]\int_{\mu X}^{(1 + \mu)X} e^{-u} (u - \mu X)^\alpha \,du = e^{-\mu X} \int_0^{X} e^{-z}z^\alpha\,dz.[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes anuttarasammyak, ergospherical, fresh_42 and 1 other person
Hi folks, I'm trying to respond to your answers, but I can't read them because of the right column, which prevents me from seeing the whole page. I don't know how to click away that column.

pasmith said:
The only non-trivial part is [tex]
\int_0^x e^{-\lambda t} \Gamma(\alpha, kt)\,dt
= \frac 1k \int_0^{kx} e^{-\mu s}\Gamma(\alpha, s)\,ds
[/tex] where [itex]k = \beta - \lambda[/itex] and [itex]\mu = \lambda/k[/itex].

This can be tidied up considerably: [tex]
\begin{align*}
\frac{1}{k}\int_0^{kx} e^{-\mu t} \Gamma(\alpha, t)\,dt &= \frac 1k \int_0^{kx} \int_t^\infty e^{-\mu t-s}s^{\alpha - 1}\,ds\,dt \\
&= \frac 1{\mu k} \int_0^\infty v^{\alpha - 1} \int_v^{U(v)} e^{-u}\,du\,dv \\
&= \frac 1{\mu k} \int_0^\infty v^{\alpha - 1} (e^{-v} - e^{-U(v)})\,dv
\end{align*}[/tex] using [itex](u,v) = (\mu t+s,s)[/itex] where [itex]U(v) = \min\{(1 + \mu)v, v + \mu kx\}[/itex]. Hence [tex]
\begin{align*}
\frac{1}{k} \int_0^{kx} e^{-\mu t} \Gamma(\alpha, t)\,dt &= \frac{\Gamma(\alpha)}{\mu k}
- \frac{1}{\mu k}\int_0^{kx} v^{\alpha - 1}e^{-(1 + \mu)v}\,dv
- \frac{e^{-\mu kx}}{\mu k} \int_{kx}^\infty v^{\alpha-1} e^{-v}\,dv \\
&= \frac{\Gamma(\alpha)}{\mu k} - \frac{\gamma(\alpha, (1+\mu)kx)}{\mu k(1 + \mu)^\alpha}
- \frac{e^{-\mu kx} \Gamma(\alpha,kx)}{\mu k}.
\end{align*}[/tex]

pasmith

For me the non-trivial part is:

$$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{x}\!{\frac {\Gamma \left( \alpha,\beta\,t-\lambda\,t \right) }{{{\rm e}^{\lambda\,t}}}}\,{\rm d}t$$

Please, would you be so kind to start from this equation.

pasmith

Sorry for my earlier reply. Now that I've looked again, I've seen that you've actually started from the equation I've suggested.

pasmith

With your help I got the final solution for the definite integral:

$$\displaystyle {\frac {{\beta}^{\alpha} \left( {{\rm e}^{\lambda\,x}}-1 \right) {{\rm e}^{-\lambda\,x}}}{ \left( -\lambda+\beta \right) ^{\alpha}}}-{\frac {{\beta}^{\alpha}}{\alpha\, \left( 1+\alpha \right) \left( -\lambda+\beta \right) ^{\alpha}\Gamma \left( \alpha \right) } \left( -{{\rm e}^{-x\beta}} \left( {\frac {\beta}{-\lambda+\beta}} \right) ^{-\alpha} \left( x\beta \right) ^{\alpha}\alpha- \left( x\beta \right) ^{\alpha/2}{{\rm e}^{-1/2\,x\beta}}{{WhittakerM}_{\alpha/2,\,\alpha/2+1/2}\left(x\beta\right)} \left( {\frac {\beta}{-\lambda+\beta}} \right) ^{-\alpha}-{{\rm e}^{-x\beta}} \left( {\frac {\beta}{-\lambda+\beta}} \right) ^{-\alpha} \left( x\beta \right) ^{\alpha}-{{\rm e}^{-\lambda\,x}}\Gamma \left( \alpha, \left( -\lambda+\beta \right) x \right) {\alpha}^{2}+\Gamma \left( \alpha \right) {\alpha}^{2}-{{\rm e}^{-\lambda\,x}}\Gamma \left( \alpha, \left( -\lambda+\beta \right) x \right) \alpha+\Gamma \left( \alpha \right) \alpha \right) }$$

1. How do I identify the limits of integration for a definite integral?

The limits of integration for a definite integral are typically given in the problem statement. They represent the start and end points of the interval over which the function will be integrated.

2. What is the process for solving a definite integral?

The process for solving a definite integral involves first identifying the limits of integration, then finding the antiderivative of the function being integrated. Next, the antiderivative is evaluated at the upper and lower limits of integration, and the difference between the two values is the final answer.

3. How do I know which integration technique to use for a specific integral?

There are several integration techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. The best technique to use for a specific integral depends on the form of the integrand. It is important to practice and become familiar with each technique to determine the most efficient method for a given integral.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve a definite integral?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a built-in integration function that can be used to solve definite integrals. However, it is important to understand the process of solving integrals by hand in order to verify the accuracy of the calculator's result.

5. What is the significance of the value obtained from a definite integral?

The value obtained from a definite integral represents the area under the curve of the function being integrated. This can have various physical interpretations, such as calculating displacement, velocity, or work done in a given scenario. It is an important tool in many areas of science and mathematics.