1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How to solve Trignometry and Solution of Triangle questions

1. Apr 18, 2010 #1
    On my school days it was very simple because I used to take whatever I've and keep solving and by some or other ways I get succeed answering it but now as we are bounded by very less time (nearly a minute) so now I'm facing very hard time. How you know in which direction you need to go. I can't find a very correct direction to proceed by just looking at the equation's given.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I am not entirely sure what you mean.

But once you are given a right angled triangle, firstly identify the hypotenuse and then for a given angle identify which sides are the opposite side and adjacent side.

4. Apr 18, 2010 #3
    thanks, but that now I was asking. you have given a very limited answer. I want to know what come to mind when you see any questions of trigonometry. I know it is very difficult to tell what question strike our mind but for instance, I'm giving you one of the question from previous year paper.

" Internal bisector of an angle A of triangle ABC meets side BC at D. A line drawn through D perpendicular to AD intersects the side AC at E and the side AB at F. If a, b, c represent the sides of triangle ABC then

(a) AE is H.M. of b and c

(b) AD = 2.b.c Cos (A/2)/(b+c)

(c) EF = 4.b.c Sin (A/2)/(b+c)

(d) The triangle AEF is isosceles

5. Apr 18, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The first thing that should come to mind is to draw a picture and labeling it using the given information. Hopefully that is obvious advice, but in my experience it is something that not all students do.

BTW, what is "H.M. of b and c"?

6. Apr 18, 2010 #5
    Harmonic mean of b and c. I'm on phone so i can't type latex code but take it as airth.. Mean of inverse of b and c

7. Apr 18, 2010 #6
    And then again invert the result to obtain h.m

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook