Solving Right Triangle question

In summary, when solving problems involving right triangles, the angle used in the formulas depends on the position of the angle in the triangle and its relation to the other angles. In the given example, the angle 40 degrees can be used to solve for the adjacent side, but it can also be used to solve for the opposite side when paired with the angle 50 degrees. It is also important to note that in some cases, the values of the trigonometric ratios may be equal, as seen with cos40 and sin50 in this scenario.
Gooby

Homework Statement

I am having trouble with right triangles. I understand how to use the formulas, however I don't know which angle is appropriate when using the formulas. For example, in this picture: http://imgur.com/C2lxg .

There was a problem in my book that had a triangle like this. The angles would change, ex. the 40 would become a 60, but you would always use the angle in that location to solve the triangle. I don't see why the angle in the 50 degree position was never used. I'm sure I am not making much sense, but hopefully someone can decipher this.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really have any work to show, because it's a theory question. Before, I thought you just always plugged in the first angle given, but on problems where the angles are switched, I don't know.

Physics news on Phys.org
In a right-angled traingle there is always the HYPOTHENUSE i.e. the greatest side. Then if the angle 40deg (in the given diagram) is taken, the side of size 2 will be the adjacent side with respect to 40 deg but this SAME side will then be the opposite side with respect to the other angle 50 deg.

So one can use cos40 = adj/hyp = 2/hyp or one can use sin50 = opp/hyp = 2/hpy.

Infact one can check with the calculator that cos40 = sin50.

What is a right triangle?

A right triangle is a type of triangle that has one angle measuring 90 degrees.

What is the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem is a mathematical formula that states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides.

How do you solve a right triangle?

To solve a right triangle, you need to know the measures of at least two sides or angles. Then, you can use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric ratios (sine, cosine, and tangent) to find the missing side lengths or angle measures.

What are the trigonometric ratios used in solving right triangles?

The three main trigonometric ratios used in solving right triangles are sine, cosine, and tangent. These ratios help you relate the side lengths and angle measures of a right triangle.

Can you solve a right triangle without knowing all the side lengths or angle measures?

Yes, you can solve a right triangle without knowing all the side lengths or angle measures. As long as you have enough information to set up and solve equations using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric ratios, you can find the missing values.