Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve two coupled pde's

1. Nov 9, 2012 #1
    I'm new, hi all.

I have two coupled equations, one of which is continuity. Basically, my problem comes down to the following system:

(1) [itex]u=f(v)[/itex] (similarly, [itex]v=g(u)[/itex]. Here, u and v are the components of a vector field, ie u=u(x,y) and v=v(x,y).

(2) Continuity: [itex]\nabla \cdot \textbf{u} = 0[/itex] or [itex]u_{x}+v_{y}=0[/itex]

From here, I can find the following expressions

[itex]u_{x} = -g_{y} \left( u \right)[/itex]
    [itex]v_{y} = -f_{x} \left( v \right)[/itex]

Which I think leaves an equation of the form [itex]G \left( u,u_{x},u_{y} \right)=0[/itex] and [itex]F \left( v,v_{x},v_{y} \right)=0[/itex]

It seems to me my original problem has two variables and I have two equations. I think this should be solvable, but I don't know how. Any help please? Thanks in advance!

--edit-- p.s. I'm looking for a numerical (discrete) solution.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2012 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

If u = f(v) and v = g(u), don't you just have a (possibly nonlinear) system of equations to solve for v and u? What is the continuity condition (2) for? Do you get more than one solution by solving (1) and you need (2) to choose a solution of interest?

4. Nov 10, 2012 #3
    Actually I have only one relation for [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex] that I can write it as [itex]u(v)[/itex] or [itex]v(u)[/itex]. Sorry for the confusion. Otherwise you would be right. To clarify my equations:

(1) A relation for [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex] (if I have [itex]u[/itex], I have [itex]v[/itex] and vice versa)
    (2) A relation for [itex]u_{x}[/itex] and [itex]v_{y}[/itex] (if I have [itex]u_{x}[/itex], I have [itex]v_{y}[/itex] and vice versa

--edit-- Which then, after some rewriting, leads to two ODE's [itex]G[/itex] and [itex]F[/itex] as stated before. I just don't know how to solve those.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook