Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to start hacking electronics

1. Feb 16, 2012 #1
    got my hands on a keychain-lcd-picture frame thingy
    there are 30 pins!
    how do i figure out what pin does what?
    thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Feb 17, 2012 #3
    cool, thanks. there's black stuff over (what i suspect to be) the main I/C, but there's another one with tiny-tiny writing that I'm going to try magnifying tonight
    anyone else have tips/pointers?

5. Feb 17, 2012 #4

jedishrfu

6. Feb 18, 2012 #5
    This is the worst era for hacking electronics. They've got everything tucked away in microprocessors or custom chips, or a mix of both.
    If you have a dab of black goop on a chip, it's most likely COB - chip on board. That's where they glue the chip to the board, bond wires from the chip to some nearby pads, and bury the whole thing under an epoxy to protect it from the environment.
    This is a very cheap form of construction, and generaly the parts die after a few years from slow contamination through the board.

If you wanna get started, I'd recommend browsing the net for electronics forums, maybe buying a Don Lancaster book or a book about programming little chips, like the PIC chips. Also, hackaday.com has some really fun projects.

Best Luck

Mike

7. Feb 18, 2012 #6

jedishrfu

And then there's arduino projects

8. Feb 18, 2012 #7
    @jedishrfu, my goal is to interface an LCD with an arduino (nano came in the mail today!)
    I guess i should try to find an LCD with a built in serial port?

9. Feb 18, 2012 #8

jedishrfu

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook