Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to subtract signals using lock-in-ampl

1. Aug 10, 2011 #1
    i want to subtract photocurrents from two photodiodes. please tell me how to do this. also please tell me how to measure current and voltage with a lock in amplifier.

Thank you very much

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2011 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are many ways to subtract two signals. Are you planning to design your own circuit (using an op-amp), or two use an instrument (such as a summing amplifier)?

Can you be a bit more specific about the lock-in? Which model is it?
    Some lock-in amplifiers have a current input meaning measuring a current signal is easy.

Measuring with a lock-in is also easy (but understanding what you are doing is a bit more tricky): connect the reference frequency to the ref input and the signal to the measurement input; set the sensitivity, reserve and time constant and the lock-in will show you the voltage/current.
    For more specific instructions I would suggest reading the manual.

4. Aug 15, 2011 #3
    Thanks alot. well i am planning to do Homodyne detection. in this method, the photocurrets from two photodiodes need to be subtracted. there might be different ways to do this, the one that i want to do is to first measure both the currents using lock in. then feeding the ouput from lock in to storage oscilloscope, i want to subtract them and see the photocurrents difference. the lock in model is SR830.

Thanks alot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook