How to transmit composite video

In summary, it is not advisable to use a 315MHz transmitter module for sending a composite video signal as its bandwidth is too narrow for video signals. It is typically used for lower data rate digital links. Other bands are available for short range video transmission and it is recommended to use those instead. It is also important to use compliant devices to prevent interference and maintain order in the spectrum.
Tesladude
Can I use a 315MHz transmitter module to send a composite video signal to another reciever module?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bandwidth of a 315 MHz module is probably too narrow for video signals.
315 MHz is usually used for lower data rate digital links.

HI Tesladude

I dint know if you realize but there are dozens of AV sender and receiver modules out there
that a license isn't required for ... here's one eBay example...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/121370720997?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107

That one is 200mW quite high power. I don't know what country you are in or what the legal power limits are before a license would be needed.

A composite video signal requires approx. 7MHz bandwidth

I would strongly suggest you experiment with these styles of modules as you really don't want to
be playing with RF electronics unless you have the skills and test equipment

cheers
Dave

Baluncore said:
Bandwidth of a 315 MHz module is probably too narrow for video signals.
315 MHz is usually used for lower data rate digital links.
PAL and NTSC get away with about 7MHz.

sophiecentaur said:
PAL and NTSC get away with about 7MHz.
Which is the problem. The SAW filters used in 315MHz modules are usually only 600 kHz wide.

http://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/3587
Extract from Maxim APPLICATION NOTE 3587 said:
FCC Section 15.231(c) states that the emission bandwidth of the intentional transmission shall be no wider than 0.25% of the center frequency, where the emission bandwidth is determined by the points in the radiated spectrum that are 20dB below the modulated carrier. For 315MHz and 433.92MHz, the two most-used frequencies in the 260MHz to 470MHz unlicensed band, the maximum allowable bandwidths are 787.5kHz (±394kHz) and 1.085MHz (±542kHz).

sophiecentaur said:
They claim to be AV capacity.
Then they fail to meet the FCC specifications in USA where 315 MHz ±394kHz is available for compliant devices.

Digital FSK has some immunity to interference, analogue ASK does not.
On 315 MHz the AV would be sensitive to interference from many compliant devices.

Chinese manufacturers are now flooding the world market with non-compliant broadband products.
There are frequency allocations available for AV distribution in the USA that are more appropriate than 315 MHz.
I don't think PF should encourage anarchy in the spectrum.

The units Dave linked appear to be not 315 mhz but 5.8ghz

any relief there ?

yeah that was on purpose, Jim :smile:
was trying to get Tesladude as far away as possible from the 315 and 433MHz bands

mainly because of the masses of available 2.4 and 5.8 GHz AV senders and receivers available at small prices :)

Dave

Sorry, I missed that link.
Tesladude said:
Can I use a 315MHz transmitter module to send a composite video signal to another reciever module?
The answer is NO. Do not use 315 MHz or 433 MHz for video.
As others have pointed out, there are better bands allocated for short range video transmission.

davenn said:
was trying to get Tesladude as far away as possible from the 315 and 433MHz bands
That is very wise.

Baluncore said:
T

I don't think PF should encourage anarchy in the spectrum.

Absolutely; I couldn't agree more. Things are getting slacker and slacker as it is.

i know I am a little late with my response because guess my mind had responded and not my hands, those modules suggested seem totally reasonable and I will be purchasing them soon!

1. How does composite video transmission work?

Composite video transmission involves combining all the video information, including brightness, color, and synchronization signals, into a single signal that is sent through a single cable. This signal is then decoded by the receiving device to recreate the video image.

2. What equipment do I need to transmit composite video?

To transmit composite video, you will need a video source, such as a DVD player or camera, a composite video cable, and a receiving device, such as a television or monitor, that is compatible with composite video input. You may also need additional adapters or converters depending on the specific equipment you are using.

3. What is the maximum distance for composite video transmission?

The maximum distance for composite video transmission depends on the quality of the cable and the strength of the video signal. Generally, composite video can be transmitted up to 100 feet without any signal loss, but for longer distances, it is recommended to use a higher quality cable or a signal amplifier.

4. Can I transmit composite video wirelessly?

Yes, composite video can be transmitted wirelessly through the use of a video transmitter and receiver. This method is commonly used for surveillance systems or in situations where running cables is not feasible.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using composite video transmission?

Yes, there are some disadvantages to using composite video transmission. The main disadvantage is that it is an analog signal, which means it is more susceptible to interference and can result in lower quality video compared to digital signals. Additionally, composite video does not support high-definition resolutions, making it less ideal for modern video technology.