1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to understand potential energy in Lagrangian

1. Jan 27, 2015 #1
    Hi guys,

So I'm trying to understand why the potential energy of a Lagrangian is the way it is.

The system I'm considering is a closed necklace of N beads, each of mass m. Each bead interacts only with its nearest neighbour.

First let me make some comments:
    1) Each bead is labeled with a generalised coordinate [itex]q_{i}[/itex]
    2) there is no explicit time dependence of the generalised coordinates
    3) the system is conservative, so the potential is a function only of the generalised coordinates: [itex]V=V(q_{1},q_{2},\dots q_{N})[/itex],

The Lagrangian for this system is

[itex]L=\frac{1}{2}\sum_{i=1}^{N}m\dot{q}_{i}^{2}-\frac{1}{2}\sum_{i=1}^{N}hq_{i}^{2}-k(q_{i}-q_{i+1})^{2}[/itex].

I dont understand why the potential has this form. I think i know where the second term [itex]-k(q_{i}-q_{i+1})^{2}[/itex] comes from - its due to the harmonic approximation. But what about the first term?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2015 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

What is ##h##?

4. Jan 28, 2015 #3
    To be honest I dont think [itex]h[/itex] has a particular meaning - it's just a constant for dimensional consistency perhaps? something like that

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook