How to use this function to evaluate this integral

In summary, the person is asking for help with solving the problem of finding the integral of arcsin(x/4) from 0 to 2 using the given formula. They understand how to find the integral, but they are unsure of how to use the other part of the formula. After receiving a response, they realize their mistake and are able to solve the problem correctly.
hrappur2
Hey guys! I'm not from an English speaking country so I'll do my best to translate. I would appreciate if you could help me with this problem.

1. Homework Statement

Increasing (growing) function is f(0)=0 and f(a)=b and a,b>0
Use ∫(from 0 to a)f(x)dx=ab-∫(from 0 to b)f^-1(x)dx to solve ∫(from 0 to 2)arcsin(x/4)

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to find ∫(from 0 to 2)arcsin(x/4) so that's no problem but I just don't understand how I use the other part to find it, what am I supposed to do? Help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula says that
[tex]\int_0^a f(x)dx= ab- \int_0^b f^{-1}(x)dx[/tex]

Here, [itex]f(x)= arcsin(x/4)[/itex] so what is [itex]f^{-1}(x)[/itex]? a= 2 and b= arcsin(1/2). What is that?

Thanks for the reply! I understand now how to think this but I still get wrong answer. So a=2 and therefore b must be arcsin(2/4) like you said. f(x)^-1 is sin(x/4).

When I put all this into the function I get 2arcsin(1/2) - ∫(from 0 to arcsin(1/2))sin(x/4) = 1.01...

But when I calculate ∫(from 0 to 2)arcsin(x/4) I get 0.51...

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: OK never mind, I got the right answer. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

What is the purpose of evaluating an integral using this function?

The purpose of evaluating an integral using a function is to find the area under the curve of a given function. This is useful in many fields of science and engineering, such as calculating the work done by a force or finding the average value of a variable over a given interval.

How do I know which function to use to evaluate a specific integral?

The choice of function to use when evaluating an integral depends on the form of the integral. For example, if the integral is in the form of a polynomial, you can use the Power Rule. If it is a trigonometric function, you can use Trigonometric Substitution. It is important to have a good understanding of various integration techniques to determine the appropriate function to use.

What are the steps involved in evaluating an integral using this function?

The steps involved in evaluating an integral using a function are: 1) Determine the appropriate function to use based on the form of the integral, 2) Apply any necessary integration techniques, such as u-substitution or integration by parts, 3) Solve the resulting integral, and 4) Check your answer by differentiating it and comparing it to the original function.

Can I use this function to evaluate any type of integral?

No, not all integrals can be evaluated using a single function. Different types of integrals require different techniques and functions to evaluate them. It is important to have a wide range of integration methods at your disposal to successfully evaluate integrals.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using this function to evaluate an integral?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when using a function to evaluate an integral include: 1) Forgetting to apply the chain rule when using u-substitution, 2) Mistakes in algebraic simplification, 3) Forgetting to include the constant of integration, and 4) Not checking your answer by differentiating it and comparing it to the original function.