1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to use this function to evaluate this integral

1. Feb 4, 2012 #1
    Hey guys! I'm not from an English speaking country so I'll do my best to translate. I would appreciate if you could help me with this problem.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Increasing (growing) function is f(0)=0 and f(a)=b and a,b>0
    Use ∫(from 0 to a)f(x)dx=ab-∫(from 0 to b)f^-1(x)dx to solve ∫(from 0 to 2)arcsin(x/4)

3. The attempt at a solution

I know how to find ∫(from 0 to 2)arcsin(x/4) so that's no problem but I just don't understand how I use the other part to find it, what am I supposed to do? Help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your formula says that
    [tex]\int_0^a f(x)dx= ab- \int_0^b f^{-1}(x)dx[/tex]

Here, [itex]f(x)= arcsin(x/4)[/itex] so what is [itex]f^{-1}(x)[/itex]? a= 2 and b= arcsin(1/2). What is that?

4. Feb 4, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the reply! I understand now how to think this but I still get wrong answer. So a=2 and therefore b must be arcsin(2/4) like you said. f(x)^-1 is sin(x/4).

When I put all this into the function I get 2arcsin(1/2) - ∫(from 0 to arcsin(1/2))sin(x/4) = 1.01....

But when I calculate ∫(from 0 to 2)arcsin(x/4) I get 0.51....

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: OK never mind, I got the right answer. Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook