How to write balanced chemical reaction?

In summary: The concentration of H3O, SO42- and HSO4- is equal because they are all products of the dissociation of NaHSO4.
HJKL
Hi!
I've got this problem:
1,20 g of NaHSO4 is dissolved in water to 1,0 liters and pH=2,194. What is the acid dissociation constant for HSO-4?

I assume I have to start with writing the balanced reaction, but I don't get how I do that.
I know that I'm supposted to start with NaHSO4 + H2O , but not the rest.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Solution:
NaHSO4 ---> Na+ + HSO4-
HSO4- + H2O <--> H3O+ + SO42-

Moles of NaHSO4 : 1,2g / 120 g/mol = 0.01 mol

[H3O+] = 10-2.194
[SO42- = 10-2.194
[HSO4- = 0.01 - 10-2.194

Acid dissociation constant:

ka = 10-2.194 * 10-2.194 / 0.01-102.194
ka = 1.14 * 10-2 M

Why do we write that first equation? And why do we get what we get in the second equation?

HJKL said:
Why do we write that first equation? And why do we get what we get in the second equation?
I know that I'm supposted to start with NaHSO4 + H2O ,
When the sodium hydrogen sulphate dissolves in water, it ionises and that is your first equation.
The hydrogen sulphate ion further dissociates in water giving your second equation.

The ionisation of the salt is complete in dilute solution, but the dissociation is not. It is the second part for which you are calculating the dissociation constant, so that is the equation you need.

You get what you get in that equation because that is what happens!
Sodium hydrogen sulphate is an ionic compound of Na+ and HSO4- ions, so dissociates completely in dilute aqueous solution.
The hydrogen sulphate ion is itself covalently bonded, but is enticed to lose a proton to water and dissociate to some degree. On the other hand, the sulphate ions can also accept a proton to reform hydrogen sulphate ions. You are calculating the balance between these two contrary reactions.
The sulphate ion is very stable and doesn't breakdown further in water.

Likes HJKL
Ok, thanks. So when I've got my equation and I then I'm supposted to find the constant. Why do I do this:
HJKL said:
[H3O+] = 10-2.194
[SO42- = 10-2.194
[HSO4- = 0.01 - 10-2.194

I find the concentration of H3O, SO42- and HSO4-. But why is the concentration of HSO4- equal to 0.01 (moles of NaHSO4) - 10-2.194 (concentration of H3O and SO42-)?

Think about the dissociation stoichiometry.

Likes HJKL

1. What is a balanced chemical reaction?

A balanced chemical reaction is an equation that shows the reactants and products of a chemical reaction in a way that ensures that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the equation.

2. Why is it important to balance a chemical reaction?

Balancing a chemical reaction is important because it ensures that the law of conservation of mass is followed. This law states that matter cannot be created or destroyed, so the number of atoms of each element must be the same on both sides of a chemical equation.

3. How do you balance a chemical reaction?

To balance a chemical reaction, you need to adjust the coefficients of the reactants and products to make sure that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the equation. This can be done by using the following steps:
1. Write the unbalanced equation.
2. Count the number of atoms of each element on both sides of the equation.
3. Choose an element that appears in more than one molecule on either side of the equation.
4. Balance that element by adjusting the coefficients of the molecules that contain it.
5. Repeat this process for the remaining elements until all atoms are balanced.

4. What are some tips for balancing chemical reactions?

Some tips for balancing chemical reactions include:
- Start by balancing elements that appear in only one molecule on each side of the equation.
- Use fractions as coefficients if necessary.
- Check your work by counting the number of atoms of each element on both sides of the equation.
- Remember to balance polyatomic ions as a whole unit.
- If you are struggling to balance the equation, try changing the coefficients of the molecules with the highest number of atoms first.

5. Why do some chemical reactions have coefficients that are not whole numbers?

Some chemical reactions have coefficients that are not whole numbers because it is not always possible to balance an equation using only whole numbers. This is because some chemical reactions involve a large number of atoms and it may not be possible to find whole number ratios that balance all of the atoms. In these cases, fractions must be used as coefficients to achieve a balanced equation.