How to write factorial in matlab

In summary, the syntax for writing a factorial in Matlab is <code>factorial(n)</code>, where <code>n</code> is the number whose factorial is to be calculated. Matlab only supports factorial calculations for positive integers. To calculate the factorial of a decimal or negative number, you can use the <code>gamma</code> function. Yes, you can use a loop to calculate factorials in Matlab, but it is not recommended for large numbers. To calculate the factorial of a vector or matrix in Matlab, use the <code>factorial</code> function with the <code>'all'</code> parameter. However, there is a limit to the number of factorials that can be calculated in Matlab, with the
adnan jahan
Dear Fellows,

I want to write rational numbers factorial in my MATLAB program

for integers factorial command is

factorial(n)

but for rational numbers such as 0.1 or 0.2
this command is not working can anyone guide me to solve this issue ?

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried to find the integral formulation of the factorial function... from there it should be fairly easy to program it in using Gauss-Laguerre polynomials...

Yess I found function for Integer that is ,
for n=8
factorial(8)
but I need for any (0.1)
can you please write it here so that I can understand and use

Lookup the Gamma function

Hello,

To write factorial for rational numbers in MATLAB, you can use the built-in function gammaln(x). This function calculates the natural log of the gamma function, which is equivalent to the factorial of x-1. So, to get the factorial of a rational number, you would calculate gammaln(x+1) and then take the exponential of that result. For example, to find the factorial of 0.2, you would use the following code: exp(gammaln(0.2+1)).

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

Related to How to write factorial in matlab

1. What is the syntax for writing a factorial in Matlab?

The syntax for writing a factorial in Matlab is factorial(n), where n is the number whose factorial is to be calculated.

2. How do I calculate the factorial of a decimal or negative number in Matlab?

Matlab only supports factorial calculations for positive integers. To calculate the factorial of a decimal or negative number, you can use the gamma function. For example, gamma(5.5) will calculate the factorial of 5.5.

3. Can I use a loop to calculate factorials in Matlab?

Yes, you can use a loop to calculate factorials in Matlab. However, it is not recommended as it can be inefficient for large numbers. It is better to use the factorial or gamma functions instead.

4. How do I calculate the factorial of a vector or matrix in Matlab?

To calculate the factorial of a vector or matrix in Matlab, you can use the factorial function with the 'all' parameter. For example, factorial([3 4 5],'all') will calculate the factorial of each element in the vector and return the result as a scalar value.

5. Is there a limit to the number of factorials that can be calculated in Matlab?

Yes, there is a limit to the number of factorials that can be calculated in Matlab. The maximum value that can be represented in Matlab is 2^53-1 or approximately 9.0072e+15. Any factorials larger than this will result in Inf or NaN values.