Calculating the Limit of (1+1/n)^n as n Approaches Infinity

• Thread starter Matt Jacques
  • Start date
In summary, there are multiple ways to compute the number "e," including using the integral of 1/x, approximating integrals, and using the Taylor series for e^x. One method involves calculating the limit of the series 1 + 1/2 + 1/6 + 1/24 + 1/120 + ...+ 1/n!+... Another method involves finding the limit of (1+1/n)^n.
Matt Jacques
How was "e" computed?

The title says it all.

Physics news on Phys.org
the number e is by definition the number e such that the integral of 1/x from 1 to e equals 1. thus any method of approximating integrals allows you to approximate e. i.e. if yuo show that the integral of 1/x from 1 to 2.7 is less than 1 you have shown that e is greater than 2.7

another nice way is to use the taylor series for e^x, and plug in x =1, which gives e = the limit of the series 1 + 1/2 + 1/6 + 1/24 + 1/120 + ...+ 1/n!+...

My freshman calc prof gave as an exercise to prove this way that e starts out as 2.718281828... but i never completed it. i could not believe in those days that math took that much work!

calculate [tex] \lim_{n\to\infty} (1+\frac{1}{n})^n[/tex]

1. How is the value of e computed?

The value of e is computed using the infinite series:
e = 1 + 1/1! + 1/2! + 1/3! + ...

2. What is the significance of e in mathematics?

e is a mathematical constant that is used to represent the base of the natural logarithm. It appears in many mathematical equations, including those related to compound interest, growth and decay, and normal distribution.

3. How accurate is the computed value of e?

The computed value of e is typically accurate to around 15-16 decimal places. However, with the use of advanced algorithms and computing technology, it is possible to calculate e to millions or even billions of decimal places.

4. How is the value of e used in real-world applications?

The value of e has many applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to model various natural phenomena, including population growth, radioactive decay, and electrical circuits.

5. Can e be computed using methods other than the infinite series?

Yes, there are other methods for computing the value of e, such as using continued fractions or integration techniques. However, the infinite series is the most common and widely used method for computing e.