How was your voting experience ?

In summary, the voting experience was good overall. There were a few irregularities, but nothing too out of the ordinary.
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How was your voting experience today ?

Anything unusual ? Were there challengers at your polling place or any other irregularities that you noticed ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The only thing of note at my polling place was a lawyer who greeted us outside in the parking lot to let us know that if we experienced any problems, to let her know.

It was surprisingly quick. I think my son and I got lucky and caught a lull in the flow (I made a pretty serious effort to get off a little early and get to the polls before 5). I was talking to one of the poll workers and she said there had been long lines most of the day. People were starting to come in pretty quickly again as we left.

I walked down the street to my local fire station at about 10 am, walked right in and voted in about 5 minutes. No line, no hassle. Great!

- Warren

chroot said:
I walked down the street to my local fire station at about 10 am, walked right in and voted in about 5 minutes. No line, no hassle. Great!

- Warren
I hope the liberals in CA are not being complacent :eek:!

I don't think Californians are really complacent about the vote in general, but we all already know what our state's votes will be.

- Warren

I'm also in California. When I went to the polling place in the Congregational church next door, I heard one of the poll workers say that they had been kept busy by the high turnout.

I voted at about 10:00 this morning, there were 3 machines and 2 people in line in front of me - I waited about 15 seconds.

Went to the town hall about 2:30 and went right in...only one other person there to vote...I voted put my ballots in the box (one local one state) and then chatted with the clerk for a minute...she said she had busier then she'd ever been with new registrants...
an unbelievable 15 new registrants by that time! =)
gotta love small towns...

Put your ballots in a box?

Yes...we put our ballots in an old wooden box that was probably made around the turn of the century...it has a top that slides across to reveal slot that you drop your ballot in...

I think in Rome they had boxes with a circular hole on the top. Votes were cast by dropping different (colored?) balls into the boxes. The Italian word for these balls is ballota or something close to that.

Perhaps kat will clarify...I'm not certain of the details.

Gokul43201 said:
I think in Rome they had boxes with a circular hole on the top. Votes were cast by dropping different (colored?) balls into the boxes. The Italian word for these balls is ballota or something close to that.

Perhaps kat will clarify...I'm not certain of the details.
actually they origionally used clay balls that they would drop in a clay bowl or ballot box and then later the secret societys used black and white balls...having a majority of black balls would mean you were out...hence the saying "black balled" :wink:

But, I think you will find in a lot of the older and smaller towns that they still use a ballot box to collect ballots in. I was actually surprised to be questioned abuot it.

Last edited:
I used a ballot box last election. This one was computerized.

I went to the wrong polling place. I was supposed to go to a nearby elementary school, but when I parked I saw a huge line outside of the church across the street with signs saying "POLLS HERE!". So I waited in line for an hour, only to be sent back across the street. The elementary school had one person in line in front of me. I was a little miffed.

1. How did you vote?

I voted in person at my designated polling location.

2. Did you encounter any issues while voting?

No, I did not experience any issues while voting. The process was smooth and efficient.

3. Did you have to wait in line to vote?

Yes, there was a short line when I arrived at the polling location, but it moved quickly and I did not have to wait long to vote.

4. Did you use any special accommodations while voting?

No, I did not need to use any special accommodations while voting.

5. Did you feel that your vote was secure?

Yes, I believe that my vote was secure. The polling location had strict protocols in place to ensure the integrity of the voting process.