Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How well do you like the new skin?

1. Yes

39 vote(s)
    53.4%
  2. No

34 vote(s)
    46.6%
  1. Nov 16, 2005 #1

Mk

I REALLY like the text color scheme (I'll have to steal it sometime :biggrin:), the oranges, grey-blues etc.. The title bars, end bars, new flash banner, and user navigation bar are superb.

The color scheme makes the text more difficult for me to read. Also I don't think the usernames stand out as much as they should (but the size is perfect now, after more use heh.). Also, I think the idea that the gray area around each post should be blueish-gray. It would be much easier on the eyes I think by just changing the sea of gray to blue-gray.

How do you like it?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2005 #2

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

It seems to be working a lot better on Safari, as Moonbear and I aren't having any trouble with fonts, size, or text contrast. I'm actually getting used to the post face and background, but I still don't like the graphics. I guess I'm just being an old man, but they remind me a bit too much of Club Buzz (Lightyear, that is) at Disneyland; it kind of makes what is otherwise a pretty serious forum come across as childish.

4. Nov 16, 2005 #3

Mk

After a little more use I would also like to add that the "go to last post in thread" buttons are too small. I use those a lot and would like them as big as the last ones. Or maybe they just look small. Also, the thread rating levels are WAY too big, very unappealing, overly-bubbley, and they distract your attention away.

5. Nov 16, 2005 #4
    I like it, I think it's pretty neat.. but that's just me, i get bored of things really fast, so change is always good.

6. Nov 16, 2005 #5
    I'm using Firefox, and it's not giving me any problems either.

7. Nov 16, 2005 #6
    There's an awful lot of... grey. Kind of bland, really. Oh well.

8. Nov 16, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The skin isn't even working for me on firefox.

9. Nov 16, 2005 #8
    I like the new look!!

10. Nov 16, 2005 #9
    The skin is fine, but the grey colors look really boring.
    I prefer the blue + white colors.
    The flashlogo is superb.

11. Nov 16, 2005 #10
    I prefer the classic one. Just looks space/high-tech in an odd way to me. How about putting an option in the User CP of either using the Classic skin or the Updated one.

12. Nov 16, 2005 #11
    Now, it doesn't look like a physics forum. It looks more like a game forum. The website needs its serious old look back.

13. Nov 16, 2005 #12
    Let's give it a week to get ourselves adapted to the new environment, ok guys ?

marlon

14. Nov 16, 2005 #13

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

There is an option dialog in the bottom left hand corner of the screen. Just switch it back to PF classic.

IMO, the new skin is a bit too, I don't want to say "cheesy", but it is a bit too video game-ish for my likings. I actually like the kind of "all stainless steel" look of the new one. I think it's the buttons and small icons that turn me off. I also like the old forum banner more. All in all though, both skins make this site look much, much better than other forums I have seen.

15. Nov 16, 2005 #14
    For new visitors, the default skin IMO should be the old one. They can switch to the new one if they want later. However for a serious engineer/scientist coming here for the first time, the new screen could be a major turn off.

16. Nov 16, 2005 #15
    This has been noted a few times, which elements exactly make it look like a gaming forum? Also some say space age, if you could do the same and describe which elements give you this feel? I have a certain feeling that there is one element that makes everyone feel this way and I want to see if I'm right. I don't think it's the site header nor the buttons if you consider them independently. Anyway please describe and we can go from there.

17. Nov 16, 2005 #16

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The new skin reminded me of that old game Invader (or Invaders from Mars) - perhaps it is the icons.

The new skin is fine, but I like simple and the old one is fine with me. I don't really go for fancy - but that's just me. :smile:

18. Nov 16, 2005 #17

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's an interesting comment actually, since my bf's first reaction to the site was that it would be a good skin for a gaming forum. I think it is the 3D nature of the buttons/boxes that make it have that look. And the header definately would account for the space age feel.

19. Nov 16, 2005 #18
    I think it's the green and those little stars and such. It looks good though.

20. Nov 16, 2005 #19

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's definitely loading slower for me, and feels chunkier when I scroll down. I am on a 28.8 modem though.

I don't like the animated banner. It looks pretty but I prefer as minimalist a layout as I can get. The menu at the top right (wth "Home", "User CP", etc.). Is touching my scrollbar. I have bad aim.

The thick black lines around the buttons and the border thing that appears around every 15 posts makes it look like a gaming forum to me. I actually like the look around the buttons, but the "quote" button on every post really jumps out compared to the text of the messages. The border thing looks like a stretched face at the top, the blue dealies on the left and the right the eyes- very video gamish.

I do like the colours though, it's easy on the eyes and nice and simple.

21. Nov 16, 2005 #20

-Job-

Science Advisor

It looks like a spaceship, the spaceship of physics. Fire the phasers...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?