How would a person under water see sunset and sunrise?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter baba bakjohikoplop
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Refraction Water
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
baba bakjohikoplop
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
A person completely under sea water tracks the sun. Compared to an observer above water, which of the following observation would be made by the underwater observer?

  1. Neither the time of sunrise or sunset nor the angular span of the horizon changes
  2. sunrise is delayed, sunset is advanced but no change in angular span of horizon
  3. sunrise and sunset time remain unchanged, but angular span shrinks.
  4. the duration and angular span of horizon both decrease.
P.S. I am a math student but this question was asked in the general section of an exam
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:
What are your thoughts on the problem?
I have no idea as i am a math student and this question came in general section of a math exam i gave. I guess option 4, so I want to check my answer. If you know please let me know
 
Well, just examine each answer and see if it even makes sense. Answer 4 gives two parts:

1. The duration of sunset and sunrise is shorter.
2. The angular span of the horizon is decreased.

What are your thoughts on 1 and 2?
 
Drakkith said:
Well, just examine each answer and see if it even makes sense. Answer 4 gives two parts:

1. The duration of sunset and sunrise is shorter.
2. The angular span of the horizon is decreased.

What are your thoughts on 1 and 2?
I think angular span will be shorter definitely. But one time should increase and one should decrease as far as sunrise and sunset are concerned.