Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How would a person under water see sunset and sunrise?

Tags:
  1. Dec 20, 2016 #1
    A person completely under sea water tracks the sun. Compared to an observer above water, which of the following observation would be made by the underwater observer?

1. Neither the time of sunrise or sunset nor the angular span of the horizon changes

2. sunrise is delayed, sunset is advanced but no change in angular span of horizon

3. sunrise and sunset time remain unchanged, but angular span shrinks.
    4. the duration and angular span of horizon both decrease.
    P.S. I am a math student but this question was asked in the general section of an exam

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2016 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

What are your thoughts on the problem?

4. Dec 20, 2016 #3
    I have no idea as i am a math student and this question came in general section of a math exam i gave. I guess option 4, so I want to check my answer. If you know plz let me know

5. Dec 20, 2016 #4

Drakkith

Well, just examine each answer and see if it even makes sense. Answer 4 gives two parts:

1. The duration of sunset and sunrise is shorter.
    2. The angular span of the horizon is decreased.

What are your thoughts on 1 and 2?

6. Dec 20, 2016 #5
    I think angular span will be shorter definitely. But one time should increase and one should decrease as far as sunrise and sunset are concerned.

7. Dec 22, 2016 #6

Drakkith

Okay. Why would one increase and the other decrease?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted