1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How would I go about graphing a momentum experiment? (Design Lab)

1. Feb 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Alright, for my design lab I've gotten around and figured out how I'm going to record the data, but when I saw I needed a graph, I'm not sure what to do. I can prove my experiment to be true without using a graph.

This is because I essentially have a weighted object with a certain momentum going to hit a trolley, that will go down a track and then hit a force sensor, this is to prove the conservation of momentum.

But I can't really graph the results.

I mean, what you really need to do is the find out if the calculated kinetic energy (from the mass hitting the trolley) is really reflected in the force sensor readings.

I'm stumped...

How do I use a graph for this...

2. Relevant equations

p = mv. (And knowing that the lowest point in a pendulum is where all the potential energy is turned into kinetic) (The mass hitting the trolley is swinging down from a pendulum)

m1v1 = m2v2

3. The attempt at a solution

Not really one I can see

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Momentum or energy?

Do you know how force, time and momentum are related?

4. Feb 4, 2013 #3
    Well, I'm supposed to be proving the conservation of momentum.

So essentially, having the mass collide with the trolley will send a certain amount of energy into it, giving it a certain momentum, and that momentum should be reflected in the force meter's reading when it impacts it.

momentum is Mass * Velocity.
    I can get the kinetic energy the trolley will recieve when impacted by the mass using MGH. (for potential) (As it will all be kinetic at the base of the pendulum)

Then, since Ke = 1/2mv^2
    I can solve for v, getting the velocity.

Then I can calculate momentum via p= MV.

And then since Force = Mass * distance. (Or displacement?)

Then MV = MS, and I have S(distance) and M would cancel.

Then...well you got me. (lost now sorry, doing lots of work at the same time)

EDIT: But force = ma, so I'm wrong..... GREAT.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  5. Feb 4, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

You cannot prove momentum conservation. You can observe it, you can check it for your setup, and you can use it to predict things, but there is no way to prove a fundamental rule of physics.

I agree

No.

To repeat my question: Do you know how force, time and momentum are related?

6. Feb 4, 2013 #5
    I do not know, how force and momentum are related.

7. Feb 4, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

You can check the units (expressed in kg, m, s) to find some relation.

8. Feb 6, 2013 #7
    Ah hA!

Force * Time = Momentum.

GLOR-I-OUS

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook