1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How Would You Apply Newton's Laws With Rock Climbing?

1. Jan 8, 2007 #1

xbb

Applying Newton's Laws With Rock Climbing

How Would You Apply Newton's Laws With Rock Climbing? ???

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2007 #2
    Newtons laws with rock climbing??? Why rock climbing?? Why not the weight of an object sitting on earth or how much force a there is when a car hits a wall??

4. Jan 8, 2007 #3
    Suggestion:

Have your climber fall. All kinds of dynamic situations would happen with various forces....

5. Jan 8, 2007 #4
    Actually if the rock climber fell from a height newton's laws would work more easily.

6. Jan 8, 2007 #5
    You push down and your body goes up...

7. Jan 8, 2007 #6
    that would be newton's third law right there.

8. Jan 8, 2007 #7

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Could you be anymore vague lol? I'm assuming you mean His 3 laws of motion, rather than Universal Gravitation. Well, Theres f=ma, inertia and equal and opposite reaction. We push down on the ground, the ground pushes back on us, so we move up. U mm..not really familiar with rock climbing so ill leave it at that lol

9. Jan 8, 2007 #8
    newton's second law and universal gravitation are (from a GR point of veiw) the same anyway.

10. Jan 8, 2007 #9

xbb

so how does newton's first and second laws of motion come into play?..anybody out there familiar with rock climbing?

11. Jan 8, 2007 #10
    well newtons first law is an object at rest will remain at reat and an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted on by an unbalanced force. I can't really see how that fits in with rock climbing.... unless the person rock climbing fell. The second law is an equation which is F=ma. F= force, m=mass, a=acceleration

12. Jan 8, 2007 #11
    I think your question is a bit broad. are there any laws specifically that you are trying to apply?

you could say that in the second law could be used in saying that the mountain pushes back as he pushes down, causing him to climb upward.

This sounds like a school work question. bump this over to the right forum please. Is this a problem for school?

13. Jan 8, 2007 #12
    don't post here. he reposted here.

14. Jan 8, 2007 #13
    didnt see that. sorry. lets get someone to delete this

15. Jan 8, 2007 #14
    thats ok, i don't care personally but i'd rather keep the same thread together

16. Jan 8, 2007 #15
    first law- the man stays in the same spot until he pushes onto the rocks with his arms/legs?

17. Jan 8, 2007 #16
    i guess that would work.

18. Jan 8, 2007 #17

xbb

Sorry aboutt the vague topic. Yea, i was just tryin to find out how Newton's 3 laws of motion applies to Rock Climbing but it doesnt really help since i dont know anything about rock climbing.

19. Jan 8, 2007 #18
    just think of someone climbing a very steep edgy ladder while hooked onto a rope and its basically the same thing

20. Jan 9, 2007 #19
    it would be easier if you used a car accelerating

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?