1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How's this for a syllabus.

1. Aug 25, 2009 #1
    So the syllabus has just been released for my Physics III class, and homework is being assigned a weight of 50% of my course grade.

So, pretty much by just coming here to these forums for my hw questions - I can reasonably expect to get an A in my class. wow.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2009 #2
    What is the breakdown for the remaining 50%?

50% homework does look great, however it means it will probably be a low curve class and impossible midterms and finals to compensate.

4. Aug 25, 2009 #3
    I assume you'll need to display extensive mathematical steps because many academic problems have worked-out solutions easy to find on the web.

5. Aug 25, 2009 #4
    2 tests each worth 10% and 30% final.

He writes his own homework problems and they're incredibly hard, I hope his exams aren't too too tough because for the midterms we'll be taking them in class and our class is only 50 minutes long.

So I assume the exams will be watered down math questions or just concept questions because not even a PhD can do say a coupled spring system calculation in less than 20 minutes.

6. Aug 25, 2009 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You have to beware of a common student affliction: "I can do the homework; I just can't do the test." (This is related to another one: "I understand the material, but I just can't do the problems.") Being able to work a problem with virtually unlimited time and access to people who can help doesn't always translate into being able to work a problem quickly on your own.

Don't be so sure of that.

7. Aug 26, 2009 #6

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Something like this would be the death of me! Last physics class I took I averaged about 84% in homework and something like 105% on the exams, lol.

Interesting for him to weight homework so heavily though, I wonder what his policy is on group work?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook