1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Howto understand this periodic fourier series

1. Nov 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am given this function

[tex]f(x) = \left\{\begin{array}{cccc} x^2 \ \mathrm{where} \ \frac{-\pi}{2} < x < \frac{\pi}{2} \\ \ \frac{1}{4}\pi^2 \ \mathrm{where} \ \frac{\pi}{2} < x < \frac{3\pi}{2} \end{array}[/tex]

Doesn't this mean that the function is periodic fourier which is defined on

[tex][-\frac{L}{2}, \frac{3L}{2}][/tex]???

Anyway I have formula to find the corresponding fourier series had been defined on [-L,L] but do I still use this formula eventhough the interval is different?

is then true that if p = pi/2

then

[tex]a_0: = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{\frac{-\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} x^2 dx + \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{3\pi}{2}} \frac{1}{4} \cdot \pi^2 dx = \frac{\pi^2}{6}[/tex]

/Susanne

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The short answer to your question is yes. Your function is defined on [itex][-\pi/2,3\pi/2][/itex] which is an interval of length [itex]2\pi[/itex]. If you extend it periodically it will have period [itex]2\pi[/itex]. For a periodic function of period P, it is true that integrating it over any period will give the same result as integrating over any other period:

[tex]\int_a^{a+P}f(x)\,dx = \int_b^{b+P}f(x)\,dx[/tex]

So you don't have to integrate over [itex](-\pi,\pi)[/itex] and in fact you really want to integrate over [itex][-\pi/2,3\pi/2][/itex], because that is where you have the formulas given. If, for some reason, you decided to integrate from [itex](2\pi,4\pi)[/itex] you couldn't use [itex]x^2[/itex] because it would have to be translated.

4. Nov 22, 2009 #3
    Hi again,

Is my a_n then

[tex]a_n: = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} x^2 \cdot cos(\frac{nx\pi}{2\pi}) dx + \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_\frac{\pi}{2}^{\frac{3\pi}{2}} \frac{1}{4}\pi^2 cos(\frac{nx\pi}{2\pi}) dx[/tex]???

and my b_n is

[tex]b_n: = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} x^2 \cdot sin(\frac{nx\pi}{2\pi}) dx + \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_\frac{\pi}{2}^{\frac{3\pi}{2}} \frac{1}{4}\pi^2 sin(\frac{nx\pi}{2\pi}) dx[/tex]???

what makes this problem complicated is that most of the formulas I has deals with nice even interval :(

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  5. Nov 22, 2009 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why don't you cancel the [itex]\pi[/itex]'s?

The period is [itex]2\pi[/itex] so [itex]2p=2\pi[/itex], so [itex] p=\pi[/itex] so you should just have nx inside the integrals.

6. Nov 22, 2009 #5
    Okay, but besides from that I hopefully used the formel definition for a_n and b_n correctly ?

[tex]a_n: = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} x^2 \cdot cos(\frac{nx\pi}{\pi}) dx + \frac{1}{\pi} \int_\frac{\pi}{2}^{\frac{3\pi}{2}} \frac{1}{4}\pi^2 cos(\frac{nx\pi}{\pi}) dx[/tex]???

and my b_n is

[tex]b_n: = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} x^2 \cdot sin(\frac{nx\pi}{\pi}) dx + \frac{1}{\pi} \int_\frac{\pi}{2}^{\frac{3\pi}{2}} \frac{1}{4}\pi^2 sin(\frac{nx\pi}{\pi}) dx[/tex]???

7. Nov 22, 2009 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. And of course a0 is different.

8. Nov 22, 2009 #7

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook