HP Investigating Face-Tracking Bug Reports

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bug
In summary: My experience was that I was drawing a portrait of a guy, which took about three weeks, and he had me hold the drawing up to his Mac several different times during the process to take work-in-progress shots of it. I saw right away that all these shots were reversed, right and left. I asked him why and he said "I dunno, the camera just does it that way."
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Can't believe I haven't seen a thread on this yet.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/TECH/12/22/hp.webcams/

Can Hewlett-Packard's motion-tracking webcams see black people? It's a question posed on a now-viral YouTube video and the company says it's looking into it.

HP acknowledged in a statement e-mailed to CNN that the cameras may have issues with contrast recognition in certain lighting situations. The webcams, built into HP's new computers, are supposed to keep people's faces and bodies in proportion and centered on the screen as they move.

The YouTube video is here, and it's pretty darned funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
Can't believe I haven't seen a thread on this yet.

It should probably be in the comp sci forum. It's a great lesson on testing and robustness and all that other real world stuff that sometimes gets lost in comp sci programs.

For any non-computer scientists:
Basically, it's a standard problem in computer vision-a lot of detection algorithms rely on contrast to find features, so low contrast situations (bad lighting, similar colors, etc.) can really mess with what an algorithm finds. There are ways to correct for this, but it looks like hp just threw out a pretty basic facial-recognition solution that doesn't.

I have an HP and I think they threw out a many a solution that doesn't.

Wasn't there a "What about Ted" episode about this?

You mean "Better off Ted"? Yeah, there was an episode where the company installed sensors that wouldn't detect black people (so lights would turn off when they were working, drinking fountains wouldn't work for them, etc) so the company hired white people to follow around the black people...

ha ha
Life imitates Art!

Did you notice that their nametags are backward in the image? Either the camera also reverses images, or they're doing something odd like aiming the camera at a mirror (there's also a reflected glare of some other lighting in the image). It may be true that there's a contrast problem with getting a good focus, but it seems they're doing something else in that video to trick the camera.

Moonbear said:
Did you notice that their nametags are backward in the image? Either the camera also reverses images, or they're doing something odd like aiming the camera at a mirror (there's also a reflected glare of some other lighting in the image). It may be true that there's a contrast problem with getting a good focus, but it seems they're doing something else in that video to trick the camera.

Someone else probably knows why this is, but the cameras built into Macs automatically reverse the image as well.

zoobyshoe said:
Someone else probably knows why this is, but the cameras built into Macs automatically reverse the image as well.

I've never noticed that on mine. I use it often to Skype with my boyfriend, and have the PIP display on so I know I'm still in view.

Moonbear said:
I've never noticed that on mine. I use it often to Skype with my boyfriend, and have the PIP display on so I know I'm still in view.
My experience was that I was drawing a portrait of a guy, which took about three weeks, and he had me hold the drawing up to his Mac several different times during the process to take work-in-progress shots of it. I saw right away that all these shots were reversed, right and left. I asked him why and he said "I dunno, the camera just does it that way." It could be it was only still shots, or, it was only certain models of Macs that had this peculiar quirk.

What is the "HP Investigating Face-Tracking Bug Reports" issue?

The "HP Investigating Face-Tracking Bug Reports" issue refers to a problem with HP laptops where the built-in camera software is incorrectly tracking and following users' faces, even when the camera is not in use.

How widespread is the face-tracking bug on HP laptops?

At the time of writing, there have been numerous reports of the face-tracking bug on HP laptops, but the exact number is unknown. HP is currently investigating the issue and has not released any official numbers.

What are the potential implications of the face-tracking bug?

The face-tracking bug could potentially compromise users' privacy and security, as well as cause inconvenience and frustration. If the bug is not fixed, it could also lead to further issues with the laptop's camera and software.

What is HP doing to address the face-tracking bug?

HP has acknowledged the issue and is actively investigating the cause of the face-tracking bug. They have also released a statement advising users to update their laptop's software and disable the camera when not in use. Once HP identifies the root cause of the bug, they will release a fix for affected devices.

What can users do if they are experiencing the face-tracking bug on their HP laptop?

If you are experiencing the face-tracking bug on your HP laptop, you can try updating your laptop's software and disabling the camera when not in use. If the issue persists, you can contact HP customer support for further assistance and to report the bug.

Back