Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hw can we relate conervation of momentum with newton's third law?

1. Jun 8, 2012 #1
    Hw can we relate conervation of momentum with newton's third law??

Hw can we relate conervation of momentum with newton's third law??.. Quantitavely and qualitatevely i want a clarification for the realation between these.. Assume an apple falling towards earth.. Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2012 #2
    Re: Hw can we relate conervation of momentum with newton's third law??

Ok well it might help to imagine a situation that is "static". This means that the objects involved are not undergoing acceleration. A good example would be a rope pulling on a box that has yet to exceed its static friction.

In that case you know that newtons first law holds so you have

[itex] \sum F = 0 [/itex]

now if you consider it a closed system then the only two forces acting are would be the force from the rope (f1), and the force opposing it from the static friction (f2).

hence you have

[itex] F1 + F2 = 0 [/itex]

simple algera yields

[itex] F1 = - F2 [/itex]

4. Jun 8, 2012 #3

I get this point but i need in terms of momentum!

5. Jun 8, 2012 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Forces are the time-derivative of momentum. If the time-derivative of momentum is always 0, momentum is constant (conserved).

6. Jun 8, 2012 #5

Also going back to my example. If [itex] F = ma [/itex] and we know that a = 0 then F must equal 0, and hence you can reach the conclusion using algebra above

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook