Newton's Third Law and Linear Momentum Conservation

In summary, there is a misconception that Newton's third law and the law of conservation of linear momentum are the same thing, but they are not. While Newton's third law implies conservation of linear momentum, the reverse is not necessarily true. Furthermore, for systems with more than two bodies, there are other ways to conserve total momentum aside from Newton's third law. Additionally, action-reaction pairs exist regardless of whether the system is isolated or not.
PFuser1232
I have always been under the impression that Newton's third law and the law of conservation of linear momentum are really the same thing; synonymous, so to speak. But then I was wondering if Newton's Third Law holds for a non-isolated system. I mean, I know for sure that momentum conservation is only applicable for an isolated system (At least, this is what I have been taught at A level). But, be it an isolated or non-isolated system, isn't it always the case that the force body A exerts on body B is equal and opposite to the force body B exerts on body A when they interact? The question here is, does Newton's Third Law apply for all systems, whether or not an external force is acting? Of course, my first stop was the internet, where I came across this:
http://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...on-of-momentum-really-imply-Newtons-third-law
Now I have more questions really. For a system of more than two bodies, the forces between the bodies may not necessarily be equal and opposite?
Long story short, my questions are:
1) Does Newton's third law hold for non-isolated system? If it doesn't, why?
2) If there's a system of more than two bodies, does Newton's law hold?
3) Is the sum of internal forces in a system always zero?

I would be very grateful if someone would help me out with this.

Science news on Phys.org
MohammedRady97 said:
1) Does Newton's third law hold for non-isolated system? If it doesn't, why?

Yes. Newton's law holds. Just because you can re-draw the lines around an isolated system so that it no longer includes both third-law partners does not change the force that they exert on one another.

2) If there's a system of more than two bodies, does Newton's law hold?

Yes. It holds both pair-wise and in bulk. The force of each individual body on another is equal and opposite to the force of the other on the one. The total force of any collection of bodies on any other collection are also equal and opposite. The latter fact could be demonstrated by laboriously adding up all the individual pairwise forces.

3) Is the sum of internal forces in a system always zero?
If you make a huge spreadsheet of all of the pairwise forces, shuffle them around any way you want and add them all up the total has to come to zero. Each individual pair adds to zero. Shuffling makes no difference according to the associative and commutative rules for addition.

Likes 1 person
MohammedRady97 said:
I have always been under the impression that Newton's third law and the law of conservation of linear momentum are really the same thing; synonymous, so to speak.
Newton's 3rd law implies conservation of linear momentum, but not the other way around. For more than two bodies there are other possible ways to conserve total momentum than Newtons 3rd law.

Last edited:
So, so action-reaction pairs exist, whether or not the system is isolated?

Absolutely. As jbriggs444 pointed out, you can't negate the force just by arbitrarily isolating any system.

1. What is Newton's Third Law?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

2. How does Newton's Third Law relate to linear momentum conservation?

Newton's Third Law is directly related to linear momentum conservation because the equal and opposite forces acting on two objects will result in equal and opposite changes in their momentum. This means that the total momentum of the two objects will remain constant.

3. Can you give an example of Newton's Third Law in action?

One example of Newton's Third Law is when a person jumps off a diving board. As they push down on the diving board, the board exerts an equal and opposite force on the person, propelling them into the air.

4. Is Newton's Third Law applicable to all types of forces?

Yes, Newton's Third Law applies to all types of forces, including gravitational, electromagnetic, and contact forces. Whenever two objects interact, they exert equal and opposite forces on each other.

5. How does understanding Newton's Third Law benefit scientists?

Understanding Newton's Third Law is crucial for scientists because it helps them predict and explain the motion of objects. By understanding the equal and opposite forces acting on objects, scientists can accurately predict the resulting changes in momentum and movement of objects in various situations.