Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deducing Kepler's second law from newton's laws?

1. Aug 25, 2015 #1
    I've searched a little bit and found that I can derive kepler's third law from newton's law of gravitation. That's okay. But I want to deduce kepler's second law too: "An imaginary line joining a planet and the sun sweeps out an equal area of space in equal amounts of time".
    I know it's possible to do that using angular momentum, and from there proving that angular momentum in this case is constant. But how would I do that?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2015 #2
  4. Aug 26, 2015 #3
    Keep the sun at the origin. At any time t let ##\vec { r(t)}## be the position vector of a planet. At the moment t+dt the position vector will be ##\vec {r (t)}+\vec{dr (t)}##. So within the interval of time dt the planet sweeps out an area ## \vec{da}= \frac {1}{2} \vec{r (t)}\times\vec{dr (t)} \Rightarrow \vec{\frac{da}{dt}}= \frac {1}{2} \vec{r (t)}\times\vec{\frac{dr}{dt}} ## Now you know that Newton's gravitational force is central in nature or mathematically ## \frac {d^2\vec{r}}{dt^2} = f (r)\vec{r} \Rightarrow \vec{r}\times \frac {d^2\vec{r}}{dt^2} = \vec{0}\Rightarrow \frac {d}{dt}(\vec{r (t)}\times\vec{\frac{dr}{dt}})=\vec{0}\Rightarrow \frac{d}{dt}(\vec{\frac{da}{dt}})=\vec{0} ## So, ##\vec{\frac{da}{dt}}## is a constant vector. This is Kepler's second law.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook