Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hybrid/ Electric Car Wind turbine - REimagined

1. Aug 25, 2011 #1
    I was reading an earlier post about having a wind turbine embedded in a vehicle to generate electricity as it moved. I came to this site after having this thought last night. But I realized immediately that drag and weight would be counterproductive. However, I did ponder an alternative.

What if a small wind turbine was placed inside of the dashboard, in front of the air vent - acting as a small, trickle charge generator that operates when the air conditioner or heat is switched on. It may not produce enough electricity to self-perpetuate, but it could off-put the A/C & heat consumption rate that exists in Hybrid/ Electric technology - effectively making the battery last longer.

For it to be effective, a kinetic generator may cause too much resistance. Therefore, what about a copper wire/ magnet current inducer?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2011 #2
    Think about this, you place a turbine with a generator inside the air duct just before the grill into the passenger compartment; for the same fan setting on the dashboard will the speed of the air coming out of the duct with the turbine, as against without the turbine ;
    A) Faster
    B) The same
    C) Slower

The correct answer is C, you would do better just to turn the vent fan down a notch.

4. Aug 29, 2011 #3
    I see. How about to put the Wind-Turbine outside on the car, Arrange some geometry on the car to decrease the drag it may cause. And make sure the Wind-Turbine has over 70% efficiency in conversion.

5. Aug 29, 2011 #4

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A wind turbine generates drag proportional to the amount of energy it is generating from the wind passing through it; this drag will translate into the car which will in turn require its engine to work harder to accomodate the extra drag.

No configuration of a wind turbine and engine that "moves" the wind can result in an energy gain; it can be likened to the impossible machine of "a motor driving a generator driving the motor." This includes outside the car as it moves (unless the car is stationary in a wind storm), or in an A/C duct while the blower is on.

6. Aug 29, 2011 #5
    Calls for an experiment ... I'm tired of reading theories... But I agree with you, but remember, there's always something. Without testing experiments you would just go deep and deeper in equations and theories. Math after math

7. Aug 29, 2011 #6

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Aug 29, 2011 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

That's not a great approach to learning basic concepts in science. It'll take you forever if you must prove every basic concept for yourself in order to believe it.

9. Aug 30, 2011 #8
    It's become apparent to me that any form of "resistance type generation" will be counter productive. That is, unless it's incorporated into the braking system, which is a necessary use of the force. But it is not a force that is present indefinitely. Thanks for the feedback all. Back to the drawing board.....because paper is less expensive than a motor. :wink:

10. Aug 30, 2011 #9

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Another free energy thread closed....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook