Hybrid/ Electric Car Wind turbine - REimagined

In summary, a wind turbine embedded in a vehicle to generate electricity would be counterproductive due to the drag it would create. However, a small wind turbine placed inside of the dashboard, in front of the air vent, could act as a small trickle charge generator that operates when the air conditioner or heat is switched on.
DoomEgg
I was reading an earlier post about having a wind turbine embedded in a vehicle to generate electricity as it moved. I came to this site after having this thought last night. But I realized immediately that drag and weight would be counterproductive. However, I did ponder an alternative.

What if a small wind turbine was placed inside of the dashboard, in front of the air vent - acting as a small, trickle charge generator that operates when the air conditioner or heat is switched on. It may not produce enough electricity to self-perpetuate, but it could off-put the A/C & heat consumption rate that exists in Hybrid/ Electric technology - effectively making the battery last longer.

For it to be effective, a kinetic generator may cause too much resistance. Therefore, what about a copper wire/ magnet current inducer?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Think about this, you place a turbine with a generator inside the air duct just before the grill into the passenger compartment; for the same fan setting on the dashboard will the speed of the air coming out of the duct with the turbine, as against without the turbine ;
A) Faster
B) The same
C) Slower

The correct answer is C, you would do better just to turn the vent fan down a notch.

I see. How about to put the Wind-Turbine outside on the car, Arrange some geometry on the car to decrease the drag it may cause. And make sure the Wind-Turbine has over 70% efficiency in conversion.

Certainty said:
I see. How about to put the Wind-Turbine outside on the car, Arrange some geometry on the car to decrease the drag it may cause. And make sure the Wind-Turbine has over 70% efficiency in conversion.

A wind turbine generates drag proportional to the amount of energy it is generating from the wind passing through it; this drag will translate into the car which will in turn require its engine to work harder to accommodate the extra drag.

No configuration of a wind turbine and engine that "moves" the wind can result in an energy gain; it can be likened to the impossible machine of "a motor driving a generator driving the motor." This includes outside the car as it moves (unless the car is stationary in a wind storm), or in an A/C duct while the blower is on.

Calls for an experiment ... I'm tired of reading theories... But I agree with you, but remember, there's always something. Without testing experiments you would just go deep and deeper in equations and theories. Math after math

Certainty said:
Calls for an experiment ... I'm tired of reading theories... But I agree with you, but remember, there's always something. Without testing experiments you would just go deep and deeper in equations and theories. Math after math
That's not a great approach to learning basic concepts in science. It'll take you forever if you must prove every basic concept for yourself in order to believe it.

It's become apparent to me that any form of "resistance type generation" will be counter productive. That is, unless it's incorporated into the braking system, which is a necessary use of the force. But it is not a force that is present indefinitely. Thanks for the feedback all. Back to the drawing board...because paper is less expensive than a motor. :wink:

Another free energy thread closed...

1. What is a hybrid/electric car wind turbine?

A hybrid/electric car wind turbine is a type of renewable energy technology that combines the use of wind turbines with hybrid or electric cars. The wind turbine is mounted on the car's roof and is used to generate electricity to power the car's battery, reducing its reliance on traditional fossil fuels.

2. How does a hybrid/electric car wind turbine work?

The wind turbine on the car's roof captures the energy from the wind and converts it into electricity. This electricity is then used to charge the car's battery, which in turn powers the car's motor. This reduces the need for the car to rely on gasoline or diesel, making it more environmentally friendly.

3. What are the benefits of using a hybrid/electric car wind turbine?

There are several benefits to using a hybrid/electric car wind turbine. Firstly, it reduces the car's reliance on fossil fuels, reducing carbon emissions and helping to combat climate change. It also saves money on fuel costs and can extend the driving range of the car. Additionally, the wind turbine can still generate electricity even when the car is not in use, making it a convenient and efficient source of renewable energy.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a hybrid/electric car wind turbine?

While there are many benefits to using a hybrid/electric car wind turbine, there are also some drawbacks to consider. The wind turbine may add extra weight to the car, which can affect its performance and fuel efficiency. It may also be more expensive to install and maintain compared to traditional wind turbines. Additionally, the effectiveness of the wind turbine may vary based on the wind conditions and the speed of the car.

5. Is a hybrid/electric car wind turbine a viable solution for sustainable transportation?

The use of hybrid/electric car wind turbines is still a relatively new concept, and its effectiveness as a sustainable transportation solution is still being evaluated. While it has the potential to reduce carbon emissions and save money on fuel costs, there are still some challenges to overcome, such as the added weight and cost. However, with further research and advancements in technology, it could become a viable option for sustainable transportation in the future.