Hybrid/ Electric Car Wind turbine - REimagined

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 6K views
DoomEgg
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I was reading an earlier post about having a wind turbine embedded in a vehicle to generate electricity as it moved. I came to this site after having this thought last night. But I realized immediately that drag and weight would be counterproductive. However, I did ponder an alternative.

What if a small wind turbine was placed inside of the dashboard, in front of the air vent - acting as a small, trickle charge generator that operates when the air conditioner or heat is switched on. It may not produce enough electricity to self-perpetuate, but it could off-put the A/C & heat consumption rate that exists in Hybrid/ Electric technology - effectively making the battery last longer.

For it to be effective, a kinetic generator may cause too much resistance. Therefore, what about a copper wire/ magnet current inducer?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about this, you place a turbine with a generator inside the air duct just before the grill into the passenger compartment; for the same fan setting on the dashboard will the speed of the air coming out of the duct with the turbine, as against without the turbine ;
A) Faster
B) The same
C) Slower

The correct answer is C, you would do better just to turn the vent fan down a notch.
 
I see. How about to put the Wind-Turbine outside on the car, Arrange some geometry on the car to decrease the drag it may cause. And make sure the Wind-Turbine has over 70% efficiency in conversion.
 
Certainty said:
I see. How about to put the Wind-Turbine outside on the car, Arrange some geometry on the car to decrease the drag it may cause. And make sure the Wind-Turbine has over 70% efficiency in conversion.

A wind turbine generates drag proportional to the amount of energy it is generating from the wind passing through it; this drag will translate into the car which will in turn require its engine to work harder to accommodate the extra drag.

No configuration of a wind turbine and engine that "moves" the wind can result in an energy gain; it can be likened to the impossible machine of "a motor driving a generator driving the motor." This includes outside the car as it moves (unless the car is stationary in a wind storm), or in an A/C duct while the blower is on.
 
Calls for an experiment ... I'm tired of reading theories... But I agree with you, but remember, there's always something. Without testing experiments you would just go deep and deeper in equations and theories. Math after math
 
Certainty said:
Calls for an experiment ... I'm tired of reading theories... But I agree with you, but remember, there's always something. Without testing experiments you would just go deep and deeper in equations and theories. Math after math
That's not a great approach to learning basic concepts in science. It'll take you forever if you must prove every basic concept for yourself in order to believe it.
 
It's become apparent to me that any form of "resistance type generation" will be counter productive. That is, unless it's incorporated into the braking system, which is a necessary use of the force. But it is not a force that is present indefinitely. Thanks for the feedback all. Back to the drawing board...because paper is less expensive than a motor. :wink: