1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hybrid Method for Solving linear equations

1. Apr 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What Hybrid Methods are used for solving linear equations and how are they advantageous to classic methods?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well I assume that more robust methods such as bisection would be combined with newtons or secant which are faster converging to give a faster more effcient algorithm? Is this kind of along the lines of what it is asking?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2014 #2
    Hmmm is the question confusing or is it simply in the wrong spot?

4. Apr 14, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It would help if you would explain what you mean by 'hybrid methods'.

5. Apr 14, 2014 #4
    Well thats what I am confused about this is what the book says:

The methods discussed so far involve straight-forward iterative algorithms
    that are either robust (bisection) or converge rapidly (Newton’s method). It
    is possible to combine them with a slightly more complicated
    programming logic.
    A hybrid root-finding algorithm might combine bisection with a more
    rapidly converging technique (such as Newton’s method or secant
    method). At each iteration, a preliminary step of the faster method is
    taken. If the resulting estimate of the root is within the original brackets,
    this estimate is kept. Otherwise, a bisection step is taken. Such algorithms
    always converge and they converge faster than bisection.

6. Apr 14, 2014 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If this is what you mean, then the original question makes no sense. The types of algorithms you cite are used for solving nonlilnear equations---basically, to find roots of nonlinear functions. If you have to solve linear equations, the familiar high-school algebra methods are as good as any.

Sometimes iterative methods are used to tackle huge linear equation systems, when standard lineal algebra methods would be impractical due to problem size. I have been at conference talks where the authors solved hundreds of thousands of equations in hundreds of thousands of variables, using iterative matrix multiplication methods. However, those types of iterative methods are not at all related to the ones you cite above.

7. Apr 15, 2014 #6
    ok man well I figured so but if he asks that in classs I guess my best bet is to go with what I have then since the question is essentially invalid

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted