Hydraulics and pressure problem

In summary: The area of the small one is only 2 cm^2. So the large piston will only displacement a maximum of 0.2 cm of fluid.
justduy

Homework Statement

The hydraulic system is this: It has two stamps (Unsure of how I am to translate that word). Basically it is the plate on which we apply pressure. You apply pressure on one of them, the other goes up. The question is:
How high will the big stamp move upwards when the small one is pressed down with a force F to 6 .0 cm?

Area of the small one = 2.0 cm^2
Radius of the small one = 6 cm

F = 250N

The Attempt at a Solution

The proposed solutions is just answering with this: a (area of the small one) * h (6.0 cm) = AH

ah = AH => H = (ah)/A

I don't understand why?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think for "stamp", the word you are looking for is "piston".

SteamKing said:
I think for "stamp", the word you are looking for is "piston".

Yep, that's it.

justduy said:

Homework Statement

The hydraulic system is this: It has two stamps (Unsure of how I am to translate that word). Basically it is the plate on which we apply pressure. You apply pressure on one of them, the other goes up. The question is:
How high will the big stamp move upwards when the small one is pressed down with a force F to 6 .0 cm?

F = 250N

The Attempt at a Solution

The proposed solutions is just answering with this: a (area of the small one) * h (6.0 cm) = AH

ah = AH => H = (ah)/A

I don't understand why?

Thank you in advance.
Think about volumes. When one piston is pushed down into the fluid, what volume is displaced? How does that relate to what the other piston does?

justduy said:
I assume you meant to say that the radius of the LARGE piston is 6 cm (not the small one).

1. What is the difference between hydraulic and pneumatic systems?

Hydraulic systems use liquid, typically oil, to transfer and amplify force, while pneumatic systems use compressed gas, typically air. Both systems use the principle of fluid pressure to generate power and do work.

2. How does hydraulic pressure affect the performance of a system?

Hydraulic pressure is a measure of the force exerted by a liquid within a confined space. In a hydraulic system, this pressure is transmitted from one point to another, allowing for the transfer of energy and the movement of parts. The higher the pressure, the more power the system has to perform work.

3. What are the main components of a hydraulic system?

A hydraulic system typically includes a reservoir, pump, valves, actuators, and piping or tubing to connect the components. The pump creates the pressure needed to move the fluid, while the valves control the flow and direction of the fluid. The actuators convert the fluid pressure into mechanical force to perform work.

4. How do you calculate hydraulic pressure?

Hydraulic pressure is calculated by dividing the force (in pounds or newtons) by the area (in square inches or square meters) over which the force is exerted. This can be expressed as P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area. The unit of measurement for pressure is typically pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

5. What are some common problems with hydraulic systems?

Some common problems with hydraulic systems include leaks, air in the system, contamination, and component failure. These issues can be caused by improper maintenance, wear and tear, or incorrect use of the system. Regular maintenance and proper training can help prevent these problems from occurring.