1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrodynamics: Pressure of water coming out of a glass

1. Dec 6, 2009 #1
    "What pressure do you need to get water to flow at 2 m/sec coming out of a hole?"

Here is the visual of a container sitting on top of a glass of water with a hole poked through the bottom: http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l168/synovial/fluids.jpg

Given: A1, A2, V2, (y1-y2)

Find: patm

Useful equations:
    Bernoulli's Equation:
    p1 +[tex]\rho[/tex] [tex]\cdot[/tex] g [tex]\cdot[/tex] y1 + 0.5 [tex]\rho[/tex][tex]\cdot[/tex] V12 = p1 +[tex]\rho[/tex] [tex]\cdot[/tex] g [tex]\cdot[/tex] y2 + 0.5 [tex]\rho[/tex][tex]\cdot[/tex] V22

A1V1 = A2V2

I'm not sure how to modify the Bernoulli's equation to combine the y1 and y2 into (y1 - y2) and to also combine the pressures into patm. Can someone please help me?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2009 #2
    Bernoullis is just a statement of conservation of energy.

The potential energy is the static pressure = rho*g*h where rho is density and the
    kinetic energy =1/2pho*v^2.

Look familiar? So we convert from one form to the other.

Almost like a kinematics problem.

4. Dec 6, 2009 #3
    I'm not sure I understand. Is the pho supposed to be rho or p*rho?

5. Dec 6, 2009 #4
    rho throughout. But as it turns out it is a common factor leaving 2gh=v^2. As I said, does this look familiar?

6. Dec 6, 2009 #5
    Yes it does... especially the 2gh=v^2.

One last question: do I need the v^1, or can I find it from what is given?

7. Dec 6, 2009 #6
    Well if you mean v^1 is velocity, yes that is what we are trying to solve for as in equal to 2m/second. So yes you need to take the square root if that is what you are asking.

8. Dec 6, 2009 #7
    Yes... thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook