Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Hydrogen atom:<K>,<V>,momentum distribution

1. Mar 18, 2008 #1
    Hello to everybody! This is my first time in PF. I have problems with an QM exercise.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    About hydrogen atom in the ground state (n=1), evaluate:
    <K>, <V> (expectation value of the kinetic energy and potential energy) and the momentum distribution ([tex]\varphi[/tex](p)).

3. The attempt at a solution

for now I treat only <K>:
    see attachment 009 (<K>=<T>=kinetic energy)
    but i know the exact solution so that I evaluate is not right.
    where is my mistake??

please help me.

thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2008 #2
    okay. maybe my attachment is not readble.

the wave function for the hydrogen atom in 1s state is:= [tex]\varphi(r)=\frac{exp(-r/a)}{\sqrt{\pi a^3}}[/tex]

where:

a is the Bohr radius := [tex]a=\frac{\hbar^2}{m e^2}[/tex] ;
    m is the electron mass ;
    [tex]e=\frac{q^2}{4\pi\epsilon}[/tex] ;
    q is the elementary charge ;

now:

to find <K> (expectation value of kinetic energy) I have to evaluate:

[tex]\int \frac{p^2}{2m}\left|\varphi(r)\right|^2 r^2 sin\vartheta d\vartheta d\phi dr[/tex] from 0 to infinity

i.e. = [tex]\frac{(-i\hbar)^2}{2m\pi a^3} \int \partial^{2}/\partial r^{2}[exp(-2r/a)] r^2 sin\vartheta dr d\vartheta d\phi = \frac{(-i\hbar)^2}{2m\pi a^3} 4 \pi \int \frac{4r^2}{a^2} exp(-2r/a) dr = \frac{(-i\hbar)^2}{2m\pi a^3} 4 \pi a = \frac{(-2i\hbar)^2}{m a^2} = \frac{-2 \hbar^2 m^2 e^4}{m \hbar^4} = \frac{-2me^4}{\hbar^2} [/tex]

but the exact solutions found on Basdevant or Sakurai is:= [tex]K=\frac{+me^4}{2 \hbar^2} [/tex]

so...where is my mistake??
    please, help me to find it!!

4. Mar 19, 2008 #3

clem

Science Advisor

[tex]\nabla^2[/tex] is not [tex]\partial^2/\partial r^2[/tex] in spherical coordinates.

5. Mar 19, 2008 #4
    ops....it's true...

I tried with:

[tex]<K>=\frac{1}{\pi a^3}\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m} \int \frac{1}{r^2} \partial/\partial r (r^2 \partial/\partial r) exp(\frac{-2r}{a}) r^2 sin\vartheta d \theta d \phi d r [/tex] from 0 to infinity

then

[tex]\frac{-2 \hbar^2}{m a^3} \frac{-2}{a} \int exp(\frac{-2r}{a}) (2r-\frac{2r}{a}) dr =

= \frac{-2 \hbar^2}{m a^3} \frac{-2}{a} [r^2 exp(\frac{-2r}{a})]^{inf}_{0} [/tex]

and here I can't have a finite solution....
    is the integral correct?
    how to have a finite solution for [tex] [r^2 exp(\frac{-2r}{a})]^{inf}_{0} [/tex] ????

thanks a lot

6. Mar 19, 2008 #5

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex][r^2 exp(\frac{-2r}{a})]^{\infty}_{0} = 0[/tex]

and I dont think your interation is correctly.

you should end up with an integral like:
    [tex] \int ^{\infty}_0(2r-2r^2/a)e^{-2r/a}dr [/tex]

And use the standard integral:
    [tex] \int ^{\infty}_0r^ne^{-\alpha r}dr = (1/\alpha ^{n+1}) \Gamma (n+1) [/tex]

Useful properties of the gamma function:
    [tex] \Gamma (m+1) = m\Gamma (m) [/tex]
    [tex]\Gamma (1) = 1 [/tex]
    [tex]\Gamma (1/2) = \sqrt{\pi} [/tex]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  7. Mar 19, 2008 #6
    I check the solution of the integral with the software "Derive" and it's correct!!!

....?????????????????

8. Mar 19, 2008 #7

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]\int {r^2} \partial/\partial r (r^2 \partial/\partial r) exp(\frac{-2r}{a}) r^2 d r = (-2/a)\int (2r-2r^2/a)e^{-2r/a}dr[/tex]

??

9. Mar 19, 2008 #8
    ...and I tried also to solve with Gamma function but the integral = 0 !!!!!

10. Mar 19, 2008 #9
    yes...it's the same of mine!

11. Mar 19, 2008 #10

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ee no..

12. Mar 19, 2008 #11

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Strange.

13. Mar 19, 2008 #12
    oh,iI'm sorry but it's only a writing-mistake....in my works I've what you've posted too.....

14. Mar 19, 2008 #13

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ok, but I think I know what the error is, you have done things in wrong order:

[tex]\int \psi (r) ^*\Delta\psi (r)r^2dr [/tex]

not

[tex]\int \Delta|\psi (r)|^2r^2dr [/tex]

if you know what I mean. This has to do with the definition of expectation value and general properties of derivative operators.

\Delta is the Laplacian Operator, which acts on everything to the RIGHT.

15. Mar 19, 2008 #14
    malawi_glen......you're great....i try to correct it right now!!!!
    thanks a lot.....

16. Mar 19, 2008 #15

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You shold not get 0 now, good luck!

17. Mar 19, 2008 #16
    yes!!! the result is correct!! thanks a lot!!

18. Mar 20, 2008 #17
    momentun distribution of the hydrogen atom in ground state

ok, now I'm trying to evaluate the momentun distribution of the hydrogen atom in ground state.

I should apply the Fourier Transform to the [tex]\psi (r)[/tex]

i.e. [tex]\varphi ( \textbf{p} ) = \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^{3/2}} \frac{1}{ \sqrt {\pi a^3}} \int^{-\infty}_{+\infty} exp(-\textbf{r} /a) exp(i \textbf{pr} ) d^{3}r [/tex]

mmm..I'm not good in these -hard math works- ....

my problem is also about the -morevariables- integral...

I don't really know how to start....

Since the wave function depends only from r, I've just tried to do:

[tex]\varphi ( p ) = \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^{3/2}} \frac{1}{ \sqrt {\pi a^3}} \int^{-\infty}_{+\infty} exp(-r /a) exp(ipr} ) dr =
    \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^{3/2}} \frac{1}{ \sqrt {\pi a^3}} \int^{-\infty}_{+\infty} exp(\frac{-r}{a} + ipr) ) dr [/tex]

...but the result of the integral is something very strange...I think it's not the good way.....

can you help me please???

19. Mar 20, 2008 #18

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

dude [tex] d\mathbf{r} = r^2sin \theta d\theta drd\phi[/tex] or this is even better in this case:
    [tex] d\mathbf{r} = r^2 d(\cos \theta )drd\phi[/tex]

so that:

[tex]\varphi ( \textbf{p} ) = \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^{3/2}} \int \varphi (\textbf{r}) \exp(i \textbf{p} \cdot \textbf{r}) d^{3}r = [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{(2 \pi)^{3/2}} \int \varphi (\textbf{r}) \exp (i \textbf{p} \cdot \textbf{r}) r^2d(\cos \theta ) drd\phi [/tex]

And you integrate r from 0 to infinity, theta from 0 to pi (but you now have cos(theta) as integration variable, so be careful, and phi from 0 to 2*pi.
    Use the forumla for dot-product:
    [tex] \textbf{a} \cdot \textbf{b} = ab \cos \theta [/tex]

But you must use the SPATIAL wave function, just not the radial part. i.e
    [tex] \varphi (\textbf{r}) = \varphi (r) \cdot Y_0^0 (\theta ,\phi )= \frac{\exp(-r/a)}{\sqrt{\pi a^3}}\cdot 1/(\sqrt{4 \pi}) [/tex]

I hope you get the picture, I might miss some constants etc, since I have not done this QM for 1 year, but the procedures I remember ;-) I hope

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  20. Mar 20, 2008 #19

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I did som crucial editing, my latex was wrong. Now it shold be more correct.

21. Mar 20, 2008 #20
    my questions:

1)
    if [tex] d cos (\theta) / d\theta = -sin(\theta)[/tex] ,
    so [tex] sin(\theta) d \theta = -cos(\theta) [/tex]....isn't true???

2)
    I check for the spatial wave function and the term [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi}}[/tex] is included in the [tex]\varphi(r)=\frac{exp(-r/a)}{\sqrt{\pi a^3}}[/tex]....,no??

then, I tried to cumpute:
    [tex]
    \varphi ( \textbf{p} ) = \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^{3/2}} \frac{1}{ \sqrt {\pi a^3}} \int e^{-r/a -ipr cos \theta } r^2 sin \theta dr d\theta d\phi

= \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^{3/2}} \frac{1}{ \sqrt {\pi a^3}} \int^{\infty}_{0}\int^{\pi}_{0} \int ^{2\pi}_{0} e^{-r/a -ipr cos \theta } r^2 sin \theta dr d\theta d\phi =
    [/tex]

[tex]\frac{2\pi}{(2 \pi)^{3/2}} \frac{1}{ \sqrt {\pi a^3}} \int^{\infty}_{0}\int^{\pi}_{0} e^{-r/a -ipr cos \theta } r^2 sin \theta dr d\theta =
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \frac{4\pi}{(2 \pi)^{3/2}} \frac{1}{ \sqrt {\pi a^3}} \int^{\infty}_{0} \frac{e^{-r/a } r sin (pr)}{p} dr =
    [/tex]

but now I can't solve this.....

how can I do??

is what I wrote correct?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook