Adiabatic expansion with temperature dependent heat capacity.

In summary: U. I know that U is given by the integral of CvdT between the initial and final temperatures so I have that expression. My problem is in finding the final temperature. To get this value most expressions use either gamma or the final volume(or both), both of which I don't know. Since gamma=1+R/Cv and Cv is temperature dependant I'm not sure gamma is even useful anymore. So the temperature dependence of Cv is really throwing me off here. Any hints would be great.In summary, Michael is trying to find delta U and the temperature dependence of Cv is throwing him off. He has tried various expressions but they all end up including T2. He
michael

Homework Statement

1 mole of an ideal gas initially at 100° C and 10 atm is expanded adiabatically against a constant pressure of 5 atm until equilibrium is re-established. Given that the temperature dependence of the heat capacity is CV = 18.83 + 0.0209T calculate deltaU, deltaH and deltaS for the change in the gas.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to find delta U. I know that U is given by the integral of CvdT between the initial and final temperatures so I have that expression. My problem is in finding the final temperature. To get this value most expressions use either gamma or the final volume(or both), both of which I don't know. Since gamma=1+R/Cv and Cv is temperature dependant I'm not sure gamma is even useful anymore. So the temperature dependence of Cv is really throwing me off here. Any hints would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Michael. Welcome to Physics Forums!

What is the initial volume of the gas? Let T be the final temperature and V be the final volume. In terms of V, how much work is done by the system on the surroundings if the expansion takes place against a constant pressure of 5 atm.? How is this work related to the change in internal energy?

Chet

I know I can get the initial volume from the ideal gas law and since dQ=0 dU=dW and dW can be expressed as dW=-p(deltaV) or dW=(Cv/R)*(p1V1-p2V2) so either of these will give me dU. But since Cv is dependent on temperature and I don't know the final temperature since I don't know the final volume I'm just getting a bit lost in the maths.

michael said:
I know I can get the initial volume from the ideal gas law and since dQ=0 dU=dW and dW can be expressed as dW=-p(deltaV) or dW=(Cv/R)*(p1V1-p2V2) so either of these will give me dU. But since Cv is dependent on temperature and I don't know the final temperature since I don't know the final volume I'm just getting a bit lost in the maths.

Try this:
W=-P2(V2-V1)

The reason I'm using P2 here is that the work done on the surroundings is ∫PIdV, where PI is the pressure at the interface with the surroundings. In this problem, the pressure at the interface is constant at 5 atm. (For more details about this, see my Blog at my PF page).

The change in internal energy is ΔU=∫CVdT, which you can obtain by integration from the initial temperature to T2. P2, V2, and T2 are related by the ideal gas law. And the change in internal energy is equal to the work on the system (as you said). So you have enough information to solve for V2 and T2.

Chet

Sorry for being dense, but every expression I come up with using W=-p2(V2-V1) ends up having both T2 and V2 in it. Such as -((Cvdt)/p2)+V1=V2=RT2/P2 or ln(T2/T1)=-(R/Cv)*ln(V2/V1). Thus the root of my problem. Any hints on eliminating T2?

michael said:
Sorry for being dense, but every expression I come up with using W=-p2(V2-V1) ends up having both T2 and V2 in it. Such as -((Cvdt)/p2)+V1=V2=RT2/P2 or ln(T2/T1)=-(R/Cv)*ln(V2/V1). Thus the root of my problem. Any hints on eliminating T2?
Yes. Substitute RT2/P2 for V2 to eliminate V2. Also integrate CvdT for the left hand side with respect to T. Then you'll have an equation with only one unknown: T2.

Likes 1 person
This is an interesting problem. I would go about the same way to solve this. You should be able to eliminate T2 by solving this way. I have had experience with this type of question in the past.

Best Wishes

T

1. What is adiabatic expansion with temperature dependent heat capacity?

Adiabatic expansion with temperature dependent heat capacity is a thermodynamic process in which a gas expands without any heat exchange with the surroundings, while also taking into account the temperature dependence of the heat capacity of the gas.

2. How is adiabatic expansion with temperature dependent heat capacity different from regular adiabatic expansion?

In regular adiabatic expansion, the heat capacity of the gas is assumed to be constant. However, in adiabatic expansion with temperature dependent heat capacity, the heat capacity of the gas is allowed to vary with temperature, resulting in a more accurate and realistic representation of the process.

3. What is the significance of considering temperature dependence in adiabatic expansion?

Temperature dependence takes into account the fact that the heat capacity of a gas changes with temperature. This is important because the heat capacity can significantly affect the temperature change of the gas during expansion, and not accounting for this can lead to inaccurate results.

4. What are some real-life applications of adiabatic expansion with temperature dependent heat capacity?

Some examples of real-life applications of this process include the expansion of gases in combustion engines, the expansion of air in turbochargers, and the expansion of gases in refrigeration and air conditioning systems.

5. How is the calculation for adiabatic expansion with temperature dependent heat capacity done?

The calculation involves using the adiabatic expansion formula, which takes into account the change in temperature and the temperature dependence of the heat capacity. This can be done using mathematical equations or through computer simulations.