Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrostatic and atmospheric pressure

1. Jul 4, 2015 #1
    So I've been wondering, 10.3 meter of water amount for one atmosphere, and according to Pascal's law pressure can compute by P=P0+ ρgh. If we have a glass with 10 cm of water inside , the pressure in the glass would be lower than atmospheric pressure and therefore when you turn the cup upside down water shouldn't fall, like when you have a straw! But in reality water does fall, what am i missing ?

thank you for your help :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2015 #2
    The pressure under any depth of water is the atmospheric pressure (P0) above the water plus the rho g h from the static water pressure.

4. Jul 4, 2015 #3
    I expect that i have a vaccum in the bottom of the glass, so P0=0.

5. Jul 4, 2015 #4
    P0 is the pressure at the top, not at the bottom.

6. Jul 4, 2015 #5
    I'm talking when you turn the glass upside down.... pressure at bottom should be 0, right? pressure at the surface should be equal to 1 atmosphere.

7. Jul 4, 2015 #6
    My question could be formulated in a different way. If we can hold 10.3 meters of water in a straw, why doesn't the same happen with the glass?

8. Jul 4, 2015 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Water is a liquid and can't hold its shape well enough to stay in. Try the same with a can of jello.

9. Jul 4, 2015 #8
    So that is the reason...Thank you very much!. In the straw water holds because it's somehow easy for water to maintain it's structure, right ?

10. Jul 4, 2015 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yes. For the small diameter of the straw, the surface tension of the water is enough to hold it's shape.

11. Jul 7, 2015 #10
    firstly inverting the glass you have p atm at the open surface of the glass trying to push the liquid inwards BUT
    oh man you are forgetting mg the weight of water , the pressure cannot balance that !!

12. Jul 7, 2015 #11
    No, you're wrong. Pressure does balance that. That's why if you put a card on top of the glass and turn it down, the card would stuck onto the cup as well as the water . Pressure is a manifestation of the weight of a substance on other. I'm pretty sure i'm right, nevertheless it will be good if someone could back me up.

13. Jul 7, 2015 #12
    hey
    the card is so light !!
    however we all know that water falls off the glass, so then how can you reason that ???
    if i am wrong

14. Jul 8, 2015 #13
    I could be explaining in words, but this video does a better job :

15. Jul 9, 2015 #14
    i am unable to open the video link

16. Jul 9, 2015 #15
    please send the URL

17. Jul 9, 2015 #16
    Go to youtube search for : The history of the barometer (and how it works) - Asaf Bar-Yosef

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook