Hydrostatic pressure vs. gravity

In summary, the bellows are very light, with the valve on the bottom weighing about a pound. The diameter of the bellows is 2.5 inches. The maximum and minimum depths from the surface to the bottom valve are 12 inches and 32 inches, respectively. The valve is attached to the bottom of the bellows and can move. When the top valve is opened, the bellows extend and suck in air. The bellows also have a strong spine made of stainless steel and a skin made of PVC, which allows for some resistance to compression. The pressure inside the bellows is assumed to be equal to the pressure outside when full of water, but it is unclear when full of air.
CherryB
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
When I opened the atmospheric inlet the bellows extended only when there was water inside. I think that the weight of the water is causing that, but why?
Bellows Ex1.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
How heavy are the bellows ?

Likes CherryB
The bellows are very light, but the valve on the bottom weighs about a pound

Also, the diameter of the bellows is 2.5"

What are the maximum and minimum depths from the surface to the bottom valve 2.

Likes CherryB
Is the valve attached to something that prevents it from moving relative to the water? If so, there would be a buoyant force that compresses the bellows when there is no water in the valve. This explanation assumes that the bellows is extended when it's out of the water.

Likes CherryB
Baluncore said:
What are the maximum and minimum depths from the surface to the bottom valve 2.
the top valve (Valve 1) is about 12 inches from the surface, while Valve 2 starts out 20" away and ends up 32" away, falling a total of 12"

kuruman said:
Is the valve attached to something that prevents it from moving relative to the water? If so, there would be a buoyant force that compresses the bellows when there is no water in the valve. This explanation assumes that the bellows is extended when it's out of the water.
The valve is attached to the bottom of the bellows and the bellows extend and contract, so the valve can move. There was water already inside the bellows, both valves were closed and the bellows were in their retracted position. The valve itself is denser than water, so it readily sinks, and when the top valve is opened to the atmosphere, the bellows descended and sucked air in as they fell. I did not think they would fall, and that's what is puzzling to me. I thought the water would push against the bottom of the bellows and would not allow them to fall

There's really not a lot to consider : displacement of the apparatus vs. weight of the apparatus, and any springiness the bellows have,

Likes CherryB
hmmm27 said:
There's really not a lot to consider : displacement of the apparatus vs. weight of the apparatus, and any springiness the bellows have,
But isn't the water pressure from below stronger than the atmospheric pressure from above?

hmmm27 said:
I agree. Suppose one fills the bellows with water while compressing them relative to their relaxed position and then closes the top valve. When released, the springiness of the bellows would cause them to extend a bit but that would create a partial vacuum inside which would prevent the bellows from extending fully. When the top valve is opened, the inside and outside pressure are equalized as air is sucked in.

@CherryB: Can you tell us under what conditions the top valve was closed?

Likes CherryB
Sum forces on the bottom plane of the bellows (ignoring bellows weight):
-Weight of the valve (down)
-pressure difference (buoyant force - up)
-weight of any water inside bellows (down)
-force required to extend bellows (up)

The bellows will extend when the net force is 'down.' it will stop when the net force is '0'. It will retract when the net is 'up.' It sounds as if the buoyant force exceeds the weight of the valve for your apparatus - adding water (effectively) increases the weight of the valve.

Likes CherryB and russ_watters
What is the pressure in the chamber at the upper valve before it is opened (a) with no water present and (b) with water present.

Likes CherryB
I really appreciate all the feedback! I don't know the internal pressures, Chestermiller, as I did not have gauges in use. The bellows have a pretty strong spine that would keep them from being crushed by the hydrostatic force, but would allow them to be compressed through their length, so I would assume that the pressure inside would have to be pretty close, if not equal, to the pressure outside when full of water, but I am not sure about that pressure when full of air, because I was only allowing atmospheric air to sucked in vs pumped in.

You reminded me about material density (displacement v weight). PVC is quite a bit denser than water, and it is the material of the lower valve, and the skin of the bellows, while the spine of the bellows are made of stainless steel, so that the bellows present just a little bit of resistance to being compressed.

CherryB said:
I really appreciate all the feedback! I don't know the internal pressures, Chestermiller, as I did not have gauges in use. The bellows have a pretty strong spine that would keep them from being crushed by the hydrostatic force, but would allow them to be compressed through their length, so I would assume that the pressure inside would have to be pretty close, if not equal, to the pressure outside when full of water, but I am not sure about that pressure when full of air, because I was only allowing atmospheric air to sucked in vs pumped in.
Is it possible that there was partial vacuum in the heat space above the water in the bellows?

1. What is the difference between hydrostatic pressure and gravity?

Hydrostatic pressure is the force exerted by a fluid at rest, while gravity is the force that pulls objects towards each other. Hydrostatic pressure is caused by the weight of the fluid above a certain point, while gravity is a fundamental force of nature that affects all objects with mass.

2. How does hydrostatic pressure affect objects underwater?

Hydrostatic pressure increases with depth, so objects underwater experience more pressure at greater depths. This can cause compression of objects and can also affect the buoyancy of objects, making them easier or harder to move through the water.

3. How does gravity affect the movement of fluids?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the movement of fluids, as it causes fluids to flow from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure. This is known as the pressure gradient force. Gravity also affects the density of fluids, which can impact their movement and behavior.

4. Can hydrostatic pressure and gravity be balanced?

Yes, in certain situations, hydrostatic pressure and gravity can be balanced. This is known as hydrostatic equilibrium, where the pressure of the fluid is equal in all directions and there is no net force acting on an object. This can occur in the ocean, where the weight of the water above is balanced by the upward force of the water below.

5. How are hydrostatic pressure and gravity used in practical applications?

Hydrostatic pressure and gravity have many practical applications, such as in hydraulic systems, where the pressure of a fluid is used to transmit force and energy. They are also important in industries such as oil and gas, where hydrostatic pressure is used to measure the depth of oil wells. Gravity is also used in various technologies, such as satellites and rockets, for navigation and propulsion.