Hydrostatics and work done by a gas in a situation similar to a siphon

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a cylindrical container, a glass bowl, and water displacement. The given solution initially had an error, but it was later corrected. The correct solution involves finding the volume of the bowl and equating it to the weight of the displaced water, leading to a water level rise of 2 cm when the bowl is submerged.
chingel
It isn't actually homework, it was just a problem proposed and then the answer was also given, but I don't understand it and I would like some help in trying to understand.

Homework Statement

In a cylindrical container the water level is at 30 cm. If you float a glass bowl in it, the water level will rise by 5,4 cm. What will be the water level if the glass bowl is drowned in the container? Density for glass = 2700 kg/m3, for water = 1000 kg/m3

Homework Equations

Here is the given answer which I don't understand:

[tex]
\begin{split}
&h_0=0,3m\\
&h_1=0,054m\\

&h ?\\
\\
&h_2ρ_{glass}=h_1ρ_{glass}-h_1ρ_{water}\\
&h_2=h_1(ρ_{glass}-ρ_{water})/ρ_{glass}\\
&h_2=3,4 cm\\
&h=h_0+h_2\\
&h=33.4cm\\
\end{split}[/tex]

I don't have the slightest idea why are the densities and heights multiplied together and how does it give the answer. If anyone can shed some light on this I would be grateful.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I tried to do is that first I assumed the bottom of the container to have an area of [itex]S (cm^{2})[/itex]. Then in order for the water level to rise 5,4 cm, the volume of water displaced must be [itex]S*5,4 (cm^{3})[/itex]. For the bowl to displace that much water, it must weight as much as the water displaced, ie [itex]m=S*5,4*1(g/cm^{3})=5,4S (g)[/itex]. For a glass object weighing that much, it's volume must be [itex]5,4S/2,7=2S (cm^{3})[/itex]. Since when something is submerged underwater, it displaces water equal to the volume of the object, so the water level rises by 2 cm. What did I do wrong?Edit: sorry for the wrong title, I originally wanted to post two problems but I then decided to only post the hydrostatic buoyancy/water displacement problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand their solution. I agree with your solution. You do a free body of a floating bowl: FB=h1*area*ρwater*g=mglass*g solve for mglass

With submerged bowl:mglassglass*volbowl where volbowl=h2*area. Area is the area of bottom of cylinder

Set the mglass equal to each other and you get h2=2 cm

If you find the answer let me know

It turned out that the answer calculated by you and me was correct and that they had revised their answer.

What is hydrostatics?

Hydrostatics is the study of fluids at rest, specifically focusing on the behavior of liquids and gases under the influence of gravity.

What is a siphon?

A siphon is a tube or pipe used to transfer liquid from a higher elevation to a lower elevation by using the force of gravity.

How does a siphon work?

A siphon works by creating a vacuum in the tube, which allows atmospheric pressure to push the liquid up and over the top of the siphon, causing it to flow downward due to gravity.

What is the work done by a gas in a siphon?

The work done by a gas in a siphon is equal to the change in potential energy of the liquid as it moves from a higher elevation to a lower elevation. This work is done against gravity and is equal to the product of the force of gravity, the height difference, and the mass of the liquid.

How does hydrostatics relate to siphons?

Hydrostatics is important in understanding the behavior of liquids and gases in a siphon. It explains the forces at play that allow the liquid to be transferred from one elevation to another without the use of pumps or external energy sources.