1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrostatics and work done by a gas in a situation similar to a siphon

1. Dec 2, 2011 #1
    It isn't actually homework, it was just a problem proposed and then the answer was also given, but I don't understand it and I would like some help in trying to understand.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a cylindrical container the water level is at 30 cm. If you float a glass bowl in it, the water level will rise by 5,4 cm. What will be the water level if the glass bowl is drowned in the container? Density for glass = 2700 kg/m3, for water = 1000 kg/m3

2. Relevant equations
    Here is the given answer which I don't understand:

[tex]
    \begin{split}
    &h_0=0,3m\\
    &h_1=0,054m\\

&h ?\\
    \\
    &h_2ρ_{glass}=h_1ρ_{glass}-h_1ρ_{water}\\
    &h_2=h_1(ρ_{glass}-ρ_{water})/ρ_{glass}\\
    &h_2=3,4 cm\\
    &h=h_0+h_2\\
    &h=33.4cm\\
    \end{split}[/tex]

I don't have the slightest idea why are the densities and heights multiplied together and how does it give the answer. If anyone can shed some light on this I would be grateful.

3. The attempt at a solution

What I tried to do is that first I assumed the bottom of the container to have an area of [itex]S (cm^{2})[/itex]. Then in order for the water level to rise 5,4 cm, the volume of water displaced must be [itex]S*5,4 (cm^{3})[/itex]. For the bowl to displace that much water, it must weight as much as the water displaced, ie [itex]m=S*5,4*1(g/cm^{3})=5,4S (g)[/itex]. For a glass object weighing that much, it's volume must be [itex]5,4S/2,7=2S (cm^{3})[/itex]. Since when something is submerged underwater, it displaces water equal to the volume of the object, so the water level rises by 2 cm. What did I do wrong?

Edit: sorry for the wrong title, I originally wanted to post two problems but I then decided to only post the hydrostatic buoyancy/water displacement problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2011 #2
    I don't understand their solution. I agree with your solution. You do a free body of a floating bowl: FB=h1*area*ρwater*g=mglass*g solve for mglass

With submerged bowl:mglassglass*volbowl where volbowl=h2*area. Area is the area of bottom of cylinder

Set the mglass equal to each other and you get h2=2 cm

If you find the answer let me know

4. Dec 14, 2011 #3
    It turned out that the answer calculated by you and me was correct and that they had revised their answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook