Problem involving gas laws and hydrostatics

In summary, a glass tube filled with air at room temperature that is 1.54m long, closed on one end and open on the other, will have 0.4m of the tube above the water's surface when submerged in water. This can be determined by using Boyle's law and hydrostatics equations.

Homework Statement

A glass tube filled with air at room temperature is 1.54m long. The tube is closed on one end, and open on the other. When submerging the open end in water, the water in the tube rises by 0.14m.
How much of the tube is above the water's surface?

The correct answer is 0.40m.

Homework Equations

Boyle's law
Run-of-the-mill hydrostatics equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First comes Boyle's law: ##p_2=\frac{p_1V_1}{V_2}=\frac{p_1Ah_1}{Ah_2}=\frac{p_1h_1}{h_2}##, where ##p_1## is the air pressure in the tube outside of water; ##p_2## is the pressure of the air in the tube whilst submerged; and ##h## represents the height of the air.

We can fill this in: ##p_2=\frac{10^5 \ \mathrm{Pa}\cdot 1.54\ \mathrm{m}}{1.40\ \mathrm{m}}=1.1\cdot 10^5 \ \mathrm{Pa}##.
Since this is the air's pressure on the surface of the water in the tube, the pressure in the water at the highest point is equal to ##p_2##.

How to continue from this point? I've tried thinking about a mercury barometer but I'm not sure. My idea was to look at the gauge pressure at the very top of the water (##10^4\ \mathrm{Pa}##), and use some hydrostatics equation. I don't know how I would go about that last part though.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
So the difference between the atmosphere and the pressure in the tube is .1 atmosphere.
What height of a column of water produces .1 atmosphere of pressure?

Are you sure it doesn't sink 0.14 meters?

J Hann said:
So the difference between the atmosphere and the pressure in the tube is .1 atmosphere.
What height of a column of water produces .1 atmosphere of pressure?
A column of approximately one metre. (using gauge pressure formula)
Where does this metre start however? Does it start at the very end of the submerged part of the tube, up the tube to the very top of the water column?
Chestermiller said:
Are you sure it doesn't sink 0.14 meters?
I'm absolutely certain it doesn't sink. I double-checked when I translated the problem statement.

EDIT: I guess I did translate it incorrectly, because I myself didn't understand the ambiguous wording in the statement.

Here's a sketch of the problem:
NIUSndi.png

Have you tried the experiment with a straw?

Let x represent the amount of the tube above the surface. Then the amount of tube below the water surface is 1.54 - x. If the water actually does rise into the tube (which I doubt), the amount of air in the tube is now of length x - 0.14. So, if the initial pressure of the air in the 1.54 meter tube was 1 bar, what is the pressure in the air within the submerged tube? This must match the hydrostatic pressure at the surface of the water in the tube. What is that?

Likes 1729
You are absolutely right. There is no way it can rise above the water surface. Now the problem actually makes sense to me; I can see what the gauge pressure formula is doing. The pressure at the water surface inside the tube is equal to 1000 Pa, therefore you can use the formula on the basin itself. This means that, between the water surface in the basin and the water surface in the tube, there is a one metre difference.

1.54m - 0.14m - 1.00m = 0.40m

Thank you both for taking the time to reply!

I guess I was mistaken. I was thinking you were saying that the water rises in the tube 0.14 meters above the water surface in the tank. What it's really saying is that it rises 0.14 m above the base of the tube. So the actual amount of air in the tube is now 1.4 m, and the new pressure in the tube air is now 100000 x 1.54/1.4 Pa = 110000 Pa. If y is the submerged depth of the tube, then the pressure of the air in the tube is 100000+1000g(y-0.14). If I set the two pressure expressions equal and solve for y, I get y = 1.14 m. So the part above the water is 0.4 m.

Likes 1729

1. What is the ideal gas law and how is it used to solve problems?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is written as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature. This equation is used to solve problems involving changes in any of these variables, assuming all other variables remain constant.

2. How does Boyle's law apply to gas problems?

Boyle's law states that at a constant temperature, the volume of an ideal gas is inversely proportional to its pressure. This means that as pressure increases, volume decreases and vice versa. This law is used in problems involving changes in pressure or volume, assuming all other variables remain constant.

3. What is the concept of hydrostatics and how does it relate to gas problems?

Hydrostatics is the study of fluids at rest and the forces acting on them. In gas problems, the concept of hydrostatics is used to understand the behavior of gases in containers or when subjected to external forces such as gravity. It helps in solving problems involving the pressure of a gas at different depths or heights, as well as the forces acting on a gas in a closed container.

4. How do we apply the combined gas law in solving problems?

The combined gas law is a combination of Boyle's law, Charles's law, and Gay-Lussac's law. It is used to solve problems involving changes in pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas, assuming the number of moles remains constant. This law is particularly useful in solving problems where all three variables are changing.

5. What is the significance of Avogadro's law in gas problems?

Avogadro's law states that at a constant temperature and pressure, equal volumes of different gases contain the same number of particles. This law is used in problems involving changes in the number of moles of a gas, assuming all other variables remain constant. It is also helpful in converting between units of volume and moles in gas problems.