Hyperbolic relationship of time and distance in relativity

But in summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of proper time and how it relates to the Lorentz transformations and time dilation in the theory of special relativity. The questioner is trying to understand the derivation of the equation \tau=\sqrt{t^2-x^2/c^2} and how it relates to the Lorentz transformations. The experts guide them through the derivation and clarify the concept of proper time.
stevmg

Homework Statement

In space-time when one "travels" a distance x from a point (within the light cone) this, in effect, comes off the time it takes. This is a hyperbolic relationship

Homework Equations

tau = SQRT[t2 - x2]

We'll stay with one dimension (x)

The Attempt at a Solution

tau2 = t2-x2 - Now that IS a hyperbola

The question is, where did tau = SQRT[t2 - x2] come from. I've looked at the Lorentz transforms

x' = [tex]\gamma[/tex](x - vt)
t' = [tex]\gamma[/tex][t - v2x/c2]

I cannot make that happen but it is because of the Lorentz transforms that this time-distance relationship is true

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the time dilation formula.

Try calculating (ct')2-x'2. Your Lorentz transformation equations seem a bit messed up unitwise. Are you using units where c=1? If so, c shouldn't appear in your equations.

vela said:
Try calculating (ct')2-x'2. Your Lorentz transformation equations seem a bit messed up unitwise. Are you using units where c=1? If so, c shouldn't appear in your equations.

You are right

tau = SQRT[t2 - (x/c)2]

Now what? Where do I go from here? There is a step between the original Lorentz transformation equation and this that I am missing and I don't see it, no matter how obvious it should be.

Cyosis said:
Use the time dilation formula.

Cyosis - much help in the past but this site was absolutely no help to me.

I know that [tex]\Delta[/tex]t = [tex]\gamma[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex]t' where [tex]\Delta[/tex]t' is measured in S', the "moving" frame relative to S.

To wit, if [tex]\gamma[/tex] = 1.25 and elapsed time for a spaceship is 8 years in S', then the elapsed time for the Earth is 10 light years, assuming we use the worldline of Earth as going straight up.

This is fine and dandy but it doesn't get me from the [tex]\Delta[/tex]t's to the [tex]\Delta[/tex]x's.

There is something obvious that I am missing and that's what I need to be pointed out.

Steve G

Did you calculate (ct')2-x'2?

If I am not mistaken you're wondering where [itex]\tau=\sqrt{t^2-x^2/c^2}[/itex] comes from. Here [itex]\tau[/itex] is the proper timer. You could read this directly off the metric or compare the proper time expression [itex]\tau=t/\gamma[/itex] and see that they are the same.

We don't just hand out the answers. Secondly you've been asked to calculate (ct')^2-x'^2 by vela or compare the two proper time expressions by me yet have not showed a single attempt.

Cyosis said:
If I am not mistaken you're wondering where [itex]\tau=\sqrt{t^2-x^2/c^2}[/itex] comes from. Here [itex]\tau[/itex] is the proper timer. You could read this directly off the metric or compare the proper time expression [itex]\tau=t/\gamma[/itex] and see that they are the same.

Now, we are getting somewhere. Exactly what is proper time. Is it some mythical frame of reference in which objects do not move but just "get older" and that all other frames of reference move at a velocity in relation to this mythical frame?

In that case it is easy to uderstand that [itex]\tau=t/\gamma[/itex] in which t is the elapsed time in the "moving" frame. If that were so, then the hyperbolic relationship becomes obvious.

For given [itex]\tau[/itex] [itex]1/\gamma = \sqrt{(1-v^2/c^2)}[/itex]

thus [itex]\tau=t\sqrt{(1-v^2/c^2)}[/itex]
[itex]\tau=\sqrt{(t^2-v^2t^2/c^2)}[/itex] but vt = x
[itex]\tau=\sqrt{(t^2-x^2/c^2)}[/itex] and
[itex]\tau^2=t^2-x^2/c^2[/itex] for all x and t relating to a given [itex]\tau[/itex] and the hyperbolic relationship is obvious.
But, now, where does your original definition or derivation of [itex]\tau[/itex] come from? It does appear on page 100 of AP French's Special Relativity in an obtuse way. It appears that the elapsed time in the moving frame t is greater than the elapsed time in the resting frame [itex]\tau[/itex] by his equations.

Am I getting somewhere?

Last edited:
Cyosis said:
We don't just hand out the answers. Secondly you've been asked to calculate (ct')^2-x'^2 by vela or compare the two proper time expressions by me yet have not showed a single attempt.

I was editing my answer when you answered - look above (post #9) to see what I ultimately came up with...

Steve G

Now, we are getting somewhere. Exactly what is proper time. Is it some mythical frame of reference in which objects do not move but just "get older" and that all other frames of reference move at a velocity in relation to this mythical frame?

Proper time is the time interval measured between two events that occur at the same point in a particular frame.

But, now, where does your original definition or derivation of LaTeX Code: \\tau come from? It does appear on page 100 of AP French's Special Relativity in an obtuse way.

I don't get why you chose to use 'my' method that relies heavily on the proper time formula derived from the metric over velas method which relies on Lorentz transformations, transformations that you seem to be familiar with (post #1).

Using the Lorentz transformation in combination with the definition of proper time I have given you will yield you the time dilation formula.

It appears that the elapsed time in the moving frame t is greater than the elapsed time in the resting frame LaTeX Code: \\tau by his equations.

There is no moving and or resting frame in an absolute sense. In this case there are two frames that move with respect to each other with a relativity velocity v. Whether t' runs slower than t or t runs slower than t' depends entirely from which frame the measurement is made.

Last edited:
Cyosis said:
I don't get why you chose to use 'my' method that relies heavily on the proper time formula derived from the metric over velas method which relies on Lorentz transformations, transformations that you seem to be familiar with (post #1).

Actually I was thinking along those lines before we were exchanging posts. It seemed easier.

IS IT RIGHT?

That's where your expertise comes in.

Actually I was thinking along those lines before we were exchanging posts. It seemed easier.

IS IT RIGHT?

That's where your expertise comes in.

The mathematics in post #9 is correct.

Cyosis said:
Proper time is the time interval measured between two events that occur at the same point in a particular frame.

Using the Lorentz transformation in combination with the definition of proper time I have given you will yield you the time dilation formula.

There is no moving and or resting frame in an absolute sense. In this case there are two frames that move with respect to each other with a relativity velocity v. Whether t' runs slower than t or t runs slower than t' depends entirely from which frame the measurement is made.

Actually, there is an excellent mathematical demonstration of this in AP French's Special Relativity which uses vela's equation (post #7) and the Lorentz equations to arrive at an invarant s2 which firmly establishes the equation of a hyperbola. had I seen that earlier, I would not have even bothered with establishing this thread.

Much thanks for your time.

Last edited:

1. What is the hyperbolic relationship between time and distance in relativity?

The hyperbolic relationship between time and distance in relativity is a fundamental concept in Einstein's theory of special relativity. It states that as an object's velocity increases, time slows down and distance contracts. This is known as time dilation and length contraction, respectively. It is a result of the constant speed of light and the relativity of simultaneity.

2. How does the hyperbolic relationship affect the perception of time and distance for objects traveling at high speeds?

The hyperbolic relationship of time and distance in relativity means that for an observer traveling at high speeds, time will appear to pass more slowly and distances will appear to be shorter. This effect becomes more pronounced as the velocity approaches the speed of light. As a result, events that seem to occur simultaneously for a stationary observer may occur at different times for a moving observer.

3. Can the hyperbolic relationship be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the hyperbolic relationship between time and distance can be observed in many everyday situations. For example, the global positioning system (GPS) uses the principles of relativity to correct for the time dilation experienced by satellites orbiting the Earth at high speeds. Additionally, the time dilation effect has been observed in experiments involving atomic clocks and high-speed particles.

4. How does the hyperbolic relationship relate to the concept of time travel?

The hyperbolic relationship between time and distance is a crucial component in the concept of time travel. It suggests that as an object travels at extremely high speeds, time will pass more slowly for that object relative to a stationary observer. This means that if an object were to travel close to the speed of light and return to its starting point, it would experience less time than the stationary observer, effectively "traveling" into the future.

5. What implications does the hyperbolic relationship have for our understanding of the universe?

The hyperbolic relationship between time and distance has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It helps explain phenomena such as the twin paradox, where one twin ages slower than the other due to differences in their relative velocities. It also plays a crucial role in the equations of general relativity, which describe the gravitational interactions between massive objects. Overall, the hyperbolic relationship is a fundamental principle that helps us understand the nature of time and space in our universe.