Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Hyperbolic space simulation in VR

1. Jul 28, 2017 #1
    I have come across an interesting simulation of hyperbolic space. I can't totally wrap my hand around it, though. But I am interested in technical part of it. As far as I see no object in the space would get curved when you are moving. The visual deformation is the result of bent light reached our eyes. Am I right? Do you really need do light bending calculations to do the simulation or there is another approach?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2017 #2

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's right, the distortion is because you are embedding the hyperbolic space in an Euclidean model (in your visual cortex). You are inferring the shape and distance from the parallax of your binocular vision conditioned by your experience driven mental model of space. I suspect that if you spend enough time moving about in the VR your mental processing will start to adjust. You'll know when that's happening when you are very disoriented for a while after a session because you're changing back to flat Euclidean space.

4. Jul 28, 2017 #3

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This looks good. I will watch it later today. I enjoy almost all of Matt Parker's videos. I also enjoyed his book: Things to Make and Do in the Fourth Dimension. A lot of the book is available online, on his website. http://makeanddo4d.com
    I prefer reading the paper versions of books, though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted