Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am a high school student that will be doing research for a class next year

  1. Apr 24, 2010 #1
    I love physics, especially particle and astronomical physics, and for my intel research class which I will be taking next year, I would like to study them more. For this class, I need to choose a topic of study to which the answer is unknown or poorly understood and "play scientist" for a year. Unfortunately, considering that this is high school, experimentation will not be easy in these fields, so I am having a problem choosing a subject that will be cheap and easy to test, so I need advice. What should my field of research be? thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2010 #2
    Are there any nearby universities? Some university's will have research opportunities for high schools students that excel in a particular field.
  4. Apr 24, 2010 #3
    There are, however the nearest universities are all sub-par and I had spoken to some representatives. They do not offer courses to high school students in any science at all.
  5. Apr 24, 2010 #4
    So look at the various professors at the school, see if any of them are doing research that interests you, and call up and ask if they're willing to take you on. My school doesn't have formal programs, but we usually have high school kids floating around, especially in the summer, doing research for the intel STS.
  6. Apr 24, 2010 #5


    User Avatar

    Most universities don't offer courses for high school students, and that's not what you're looking for. You're looking for a research mentor, someone who can help you pick a topic that can be done with your resources (or theirs) in the given amount of time and your knowledge of the field. Even lower-ranked schools often have good researchers at them; in the current job market, researchers take what they can get. Certainly don't dismiss any chance to work with a professor (or even a grad student) given any opportunity, no matter where it is.
  7. Apr 25, 2010 #6
    Remember that you're only in high school. The staff in your so-called 'sub-par' universities still have centuries more knowledge and experience than you do.

    Like others have said, what you're looking for is someone that can help you with ideas and a bit of guidance. If you can contact someone in a local department, you should tell them what you've told us - and ask if there is anyone you might be able to contact who would be willing to meet you to discuss a project. You don't even need a doctor to work with, honours students or post-grads that are interested in teaching might be willing.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook