Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am amazed !

1. Oct 20, 2006 #1
    I wonder why no one seems to answer my question I've posted earlier.
    But this question may Turn out to be million doller question If we were aware of its' possible consequences.One promise is It may help explain High Temperature superconductivity which poses a headache to condensed matter physicists.Please discuss with me the following issue:

How two electrons tunneling simultaneously at different sites can interact with each other ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2006 #2
    What do you mean by simultaneously?
  4. Oct 30, 2006 #3
    You have asked rather a tricky question Epicurus,I confess simultaneity has no meaning in the context of Special theory of relativity.But I should like to rephrase my question as follows:
    How two electrons tunneling can 'see' each other ?
  5. Oct 30, 2006 #4
    In the same way like any other two charged particles, electromagnetic interaction.
  6. Oct 30, 2006 #5
    how would this explain high T superconductivity?

also, what do you mean exactly by your question? It sounds like you are talking about redox e transfer...Electron transfer is fairly well understood (e.g. Marcus theory) in terms of non-adiabatic crossing of energy surfaces along a reaction coordinate - infact, it is known that many proteins transfer electrons in this way. The equation to look at is the Fermi golden rule expression, the key pieces being the coupling elements of the Hamiltonian and the density of states. Also look at the Franck-Condon approx. and where it is valid, depending upon what kind of system you have in mind. A scholar google or web of science search should yield much information in this area for you. I don't know if this has to do with high T superconducting though.
  7. Oct 30, 2006 #6
    It is not the simultaneity of special relativity that I am worried about. Its the quantum mechanical version which is fundamentally ill defined.
  8. Oct 31, 2006 #7
    To summarize, don't be amazed that nobody has answered your question. Your question is poorly posed and its context makes no sense.
  9. Nov 1, 2006 #8
    yep you need to explain your question better

as for tunneling electrons , think of the fundimental forces, they can interact via gravity at all times and via electromagnetism but i dont think that is what you are asking
  10. Nov 1, 2006 #9

Gold Member

google for "Klein paradox".
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?