High Temperature Superconductivity: Can Two Electrons Interact?

• Thread starter KAZSyed
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of how two electrons tunneling simultaneously at different sites can interact with each other. The person asking the question wonders why no one has answered it and suggests that it may be a million dollar question with potential to explain high temperature superconductivity. However, their question is poorly posed and its context is unclear. The other person suggests looking into the Klein paradox and explains that quantum mechanics and special relativity make the concept of simultaneity difficult to define.
KAZSyed
I wonder why no one seems to answer my question I've posted earlier.
But this question may Turn out to be million doller question If we were aware of its' possible consequences.One promise is It may help explain High Temperature superconductivity which poses a headache to condensed matter physicists.Please discuss with me the following issue:

How two electrons tunneling simultaneously at different sites can interact with each other ?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by simultaneously?

You have asked rather a tricky question Epicurus,I confess simultaneity has no meaning in the context of Special theory of relativity.But I should like to rephrase my question as follows:
How two electrons tunneling can 'see' each other ?

KAZSyed said:
In the same way like any other two charged particles, electromagnetic interaction.

KAZSyed said:
I wonder why no one seems to answer my question I've posted earlier.
But this question may Turn out to be million doller question If we were aware of its' possible consequences.One promise is It may help explain High Temperature superconductivity which poses a headache to condensed matter physicists.Please discuss with me the following issue:

How two electrons tunneling simultaneously at different sites can interact with each other ?

how would this explain high T superconductivity?

also, what do you mean exactly by your question? It sounds like you are talking about redox e transfer...Electron transfer is fairly well understood (e.g. Marcus theory) in terms of non-adiabatic crossing of energy surfaces along a reaction coordinate - infact, it is known that many proteins transfer electrons in this way. The equation to look at is the Fermi golden rule expression, the key pieces being the coupling elements of the Hamiltonian and the density of states. Also look at the Franck-Condon approx. and where it is valid, depending upon what kind of system you have in mind. A scholar google or web of science search should yield much information in this area for you. I don't know if this has to do with high T superconducting though.

You have asked rather a tricky question Epicurus,I confess simultaneity has no meaning in the context of Special theory of relativity.But I should like to rephrase my question as follows:

It is not the simultaneity of special relativity that I am worried about. Its the quantum mechanical version which is fundamentally ill defined.

To summarize, don't be amazed that nobody has answered your question. Your question is poorly posed and its context makes no sense.

yep you need to explain your question better

as for tunneling electrons , think of the fundimental forces, they can interact via gravity at all times and via electromagnetism but i don't think that is what you are asking

google for "Klein paradox".

FAQ: High Temperature Superconductivity: Can Two Electrons Interact?

1. What is high temperature superconductivity?

High temperature superconductivity is a phenomenon in which certain materials can conduct electricity with zero resistance at temperatures higher than the boiling point of liquid nitrogen (77 K or -196°C). Traditional superconductors require much lower temperatures, close to absolute zero, to exhibit this property.

2. How do two electrons interact in high temperature superconductivity?

The interaction between two electrons in high temperature superconductivity is thought to occur through a mechanism called Cooper pairing. This is when two electrons with opposite spins form a bound state, known as a Cooper pair, which can then move together through the material with minimal resistance.

3. What materials exhibit high temperature superconductivity?

The most commonly studied materials for high temperature superconductivity are cuprates, which are copper-based compounds. Other materials, such as iron pnictides and magnesium diboride, have also been found to exhibit high temperature superconductivity.

4. What are the potential applications of high temperature superconductivity?

High temperature superconductivity has the potential to revolutionize many industries, such as energy transmission, medical imaging, and transportation. It could greatly improve the efficiency and reduce the cost of these technologies by eliminating energy loss due to resistance.

5. What are the current challenges in understanding high temperature superconductivity?

Despite decades of research, the exact mechanism and underlying physics of high temperature superconductivity are still not fully understood. Researchers are still trying to determine the key factors that contribute to this phenomenon and how to design materials with even higher superconducting temperatures.

Back