I am Completely Clueless in Calculus

• Thread starter jamimi13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving proving equality using logarithmic properties and half-angle identities. The individuals in the conversation provide helpful hints and a step-by-step solution, ultimately arriving at the conclusion that there may be a mistake in the original equality. They also express their enjoyment of helping and being a part of the community.
jamimi13
Today i was given some review questions from pre-calc, but i forgot how to even start the problems. One problem looks like this:
ln lsinxl=(ln l1-cos2x)-ln2)

i know that i have to prove that each side is equal, but i don't know where to begin...any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \ln |\sin(x)| = \ln |1-cos2x| - \ln(2) [/tex]

Apply Logarithm properties, (Review them)

[tex] \ln |\sin(x)| = \ln |\frac{1-cos2x}{2}| [/tex]

Here's another hint Look up Half-Angle identities.

Cyclovenom said:
[tex] \ln |\sin(x)| = \ln |1-cos2x| - \ln(2) [/tex]

Apply Logarithm properties, (Review them)

[tex] \ln |\sin(x)| = \ln |\frac{1-cos2x}{2}| [/tex]

Here's another hint Look up Half-Angle identities.

mmmm...I love Trig Identities.

Greetings friend,

Here is a step by step solution for your inquiry:

ln |sin(x)| = ln | (1-cos2x) / 2 | (after applying necessary log laws)
you raise base e to some exponets:
e^(ln|sin(x)|) = e^(ln|(1-cos2x)/2)
sin(x) = (1-cos2x)/2 (notice 1-cos2x/2 is another way of saying sin^2(x))

so they are not equal... unless you made a type and meant ln|sin^2(x)| originally.

PrudensOptimus is correct. There must be something wrong with your equality, unless the question was if you were to prove or disprove it. If the equality should be true, then

[tex]

ln |sin^2 x| = ln | 1 - cos2x | - ln (2)

[/tex]

That's for all the help guys!
You are all lifesavers!

jamimi13 said:
That's for all the help guys!
You are all lifesavers!

It's glad to be of help!, and Welcome to PF!, i hope you enjoy your stay :rofl:

This is the second best site in the world, after google of course.

1. What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of rates of change and the accumulation of quantities. It is used to model and analyze continuous change and motion in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Why is calculus important?

Calculus is important because it provides a powerful set of tools for understanding and solving real-world problems. It is the foundation for many other areas of mathematics and is essential for fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. What are the basic concepts in calculus?

The basic concepts in calculus are derivatives, integrals, limits, and functions. Derivatives measure the instantaneous rate of change of a function, while integrals measure the accumulation of quantities over a given interval. Limits are used to describe the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value, and functions are mathematical expressions that relate input values to output values.

4. How can I improve my understanding of calculus?

To improve your understanding of calculus, it is important to practice regularly and seek help when needed. You can also try breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts and relate them to real-world applications. Additionally, using online resources, such as tutorials and practice problems, can also be helpful.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in calculus?

Some common mistakes to avoid in calculus include not understanding the basic concepts, making careless errors in calculations, and not checking your work. It is also important to avoid memorizing formulas without understanding their derivation and not seeking help when needed. Practicing regularly and being attentive to detail can help avoid these common mistakes.