I am going to lose it I need a hint

• Thread starter Roger Wilco
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses deriving a formula for work done in an adiabatic expansion of an ideal gas using the fact that pV^{\gamma}=C. There is a hint given to rewrite the formula and redo the integration, followed by a discussion on converting units to standard SI units.
Roger Wilco

Homework Statement

just to get me started! This is killing me...

I need to derive the formula for an work done W of an adiabatic expansion of an ideal gas: [tex]W=\frac{1}{1-\gamma}[p_2V_2-p_1V_1][/tex]

Using the fact that [tex]p_1V_1^{\gamma}=p_2V_2^{\gamma}=constant[/tex]

thanks
RW

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that [tex]W=\int pdV[/tex] also...

This is going nowhere extremely fast...

Roger Wilco said:
I know that [tex]W=\int pdV[/tex] also...
Here's a hint.

Rewrite: [tex]pV^{\gamma}=C[/tex]

As [tex]p=C/V^{\gamma}[/tex]

Okay from now on Will use n in place of gamma for simplicity.

So now if I have [tex] W=c\int\ V^{-n}dV[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow W=c\frac{V^{-n+1}}{-n+1}[/tex]...

Now I am stuck again. ...

Last edited:
Redo that integration more carefully. (Check by taking the derivative of your answer.)

Doc Al said:
Redo that integration more carefully. (Check by taking the derivative of your answer.)

Gotcha...now I am having trouble putting that in terms of p1 and p2...I now have it in terms of c...and I still have 1-n up in th exponent...do I need a natural log somewhere?

Thank you
RW

You can replace c with what it equals.

Doc Al said:
You can replace c with what it equals.

But which do I use...I know [tex]p_1V_1^n=p_2V_2^n[/tex]

oh..wait... how about I distibute c first and then replace it...it's clear now.

Thanks Doc!
You're the best!

RW

So to actually evaluate this expression when I am given pressure in atms and volume in cubic centimeters do i need to convert these units into SI.

I see that the coefficient of 1/(1-n) is dimensionless. And I had assumed that since p1v1-p2v2 had the SAME dimensions it would be okay to NOT convert...

i think I see my error though...I need Joules when all is said and done. I may have answered my own question.

RW

Use standard SI units.

1. What do you mean by "I am going to lose it"?

"I am going to lose it" is a phrase used when someone is feeling overwhelmed or frustrated and is close to losing control of their emotions.

2. Can you give me a hint on how to handle this situation?

It is difficult to give you a specific hint without knowing the specifics of your situation. However, in general, it is important to take a deep breath, step back from the situation, and try to approach it with a clear and rational mindset.

3. How can I prevent myself from losing control?

One way to prevent yourself from losing control is to practice self-care and stress management techniques such as deep breathing, exercise, and mindfulness. It is also important to identify triggers and proactively address them before they escalate.

4. Is it normal to feel like I am going to lose it?

Yes, it is normal to sometimes feel overwhelmed and on the verge of losing control. It is important to recognize these feelings and take steps to manage them in a healthy way.

5. Are there any scientific studies on managing overwhelming emotions?

Yes, there have been numerous studies on different techniques and strategies for managing overwhelming emotions. These include cognitive-behavioral therapy, mindfulness practices, and relaxation techniques. It is important to find what works best for you and seek out professional help if needed.