1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am looking to major in Nuclear Engineering

1. May 24, 2013 #1
    What colleges should I apply to for nuclear engineering? Also is going to graduate school fjjor nuclear engineering worth the cost?

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2013 #2
    If you are looking for nuclear engineering colleges a quick google search is good, but this wikipedia listing is pretty accurate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclea...lleges_and_universities_in_the_United_States/ . I'd highly avoid schools that do not have a full bachelors degree program in nuclear engineering. A minor in nuclear engineering is always hit or miss.

Most nuclear engineering graduate programs fully fund PhD and some masters students so there isn't really a cost unless you are doing just a non-thesis masters.

4. May 25, 2013 #3
    I am thinking of Idaho State, Oregon State, Rensselear Polytechnic Institute, or Colorado School of Mines. I saw that Mines did not offer a bachelors in Nuclear Engineering, so that probably isn't the one for undergraduates.

5. May 25, 2013 #4
    Just curious, why those schools?

6. May 25, 2013 #5
    They are closest to my current location where my family is, in Washington State. What schools do you recommend?

7. May 25, 2013 #6
    How critical is it that you live near your family? RPI is in New York btw.

8. May 25, 2013 #7
    I don't think it is a major factor for me personally, if there are better colleges with Nuclear Engineering then by all means let me know.

9. May 25, 2013 #8
    Since that's the case... I'd recommend Oregon State University, Texas A&M University, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Purdue University, and the others on this list: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...ineering-schools/nuclear-engineering-rankings.

These are all pretty good schools, but I'd look up the programs themselves and see if their programs seem to fit you. Also, try and avoid schools with less than 7 assistant/associate/full professors in the nuclear engineering program itself. Anything less is usually indicative of an unhealthy program and lacking undergraduate research and other opportunities. Also, make sure you actually like the city/state you end up in. Some of these schools might be in areas you will not be personally happy to live in.

10. May 25, 2013 #9
    Oregon State University I believe is my number one choice so far. But if I am going to OSU for my undergrad stuff, I can switch universities for graduate degrees, right? Also the DOD scholarship, if I took that would that limit my opportunities for graduate work?

11. May 26, 2013 #10
    I know a few people at OSU and I'm really impressed with their program. You are not required to go to the same school for all of your degrees. In fact, in some cases having all your degrees from the same place is frowned upon and potentially not as useful as having gone to different schools for undergraduate and graduate degrees. Also, can you be more specific about the scholarship? Just saying DoD isn't very specific.

12. May 26, 2013 #11
    The DoD scholarship is a scholarship from the government that pays for your college tuition for x years you choose to attend. The student then gets a job out of college working for the DoD (required to work for the same x years). The work is after college of course.

13. May 27, 2013 #12
  14. May 27, 2013 #13
    Ah, yes that is it. I wasn't sure of the name sorry, but that is the scholarship I was referring to.

15. May 30, 2013 #14
    I'd highly recommend you look for other funding sources for your undergraduate degree. If you receive that scholarship you won't be able to do your graduate work directly after your undergraduate degree.

16. May 30, 2013 #15
    The question then is: Do you recommend I pursue a graduate degree in nuclear engineering?

17. May 30, 2013 #16
    That's entirely dependent on what you want to do in life.

18. May 30, 2013 #17
    How would getting a graduates degree in NE change my perspective future in that field as opposed to going with only a bachelors?

19. May 31, 2013 #18
    It will give you the minimum qualifications needed for different opportunities than someone with a bachelors degree. A Masters provides more depth than breadth of content in the field and basic researching skills. A PhD provides the super specialization in a subset of the field and proper training in managing and conducting research projects.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook