I am off by one decimal and I cannot see the error in my work

Using the initial velocity ##v_{0_y} = 0##, you get the formula ##\Delta y = -\frac 12 g \Delta t^2##. This formula can be rewritten as ##y=v_{0_y} t + \frac 12 a_y t^2##, which is the same as ##y=v_{0_y} t + \frac 12 (-g) t^2## and ##y=v_{0_y} t + \frac 12 a t^2##, where ##a=-g##. This is the formula mentioned in the conversation, with the additional information that ##a_y = a = -g## in the case of free fall.
pemby
Here is a screenshot of the question I deleted on stack physics after they directed me to this forum.
Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 10.48.42 AM.png
Eratta:
FYI I have tried with g = -9.80 and 58.9 m when the correct solution (I think) is 5.9 rounded two significant figures. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 10.48.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 10.48.42 AM.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 857
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you used -(-9.8) for g in the height formula. The formula for the displacement in case of uniformly accelerating motion is y=vot+a/2 t2, and a= - 9.8 now. Also, the second term on the right side should be vtan(30°).

Last edited:
Hi, I am attempting to derive a solution based on equations on the 1st page of this document.
http://themcclungs.net/physics/download/H/2_D_Motion/Projectile Cliff.pdf

" The formula for the displacement in case of uniformly accelerating motion is y=vot+a/2 t2"
In the spirit of understanding where formulas come from could you derive that from the equations I am using to derive my solution?

I

ehild said:
I think you used -(-9.8) for g in the height formula. The formula for the displacement in case of uniformly accelerating motion is y=vot+a/2 t2, and a= - 9.8 now. Also, the second term on the right side should be vtan(30°).
I agree with your g assessment, but think you should reconsider that advice about the tan 30 degrees vs sin 30 degrees.

Chestermiller said:
I agree with your g assessment, but think you should reconsider that advice about the tan 30 degrees vs sin 30 degrees.
You are right, it is tangent in the formula y(x).

pemby said:
Hi, I am attempting to derive a solution based on equations on the 1st page of this document.
The text you refer to would use +9.8 m/s2 for the acceleration due to gravity.
" The formula for the displacement in case of uniformly accelerating motion is y=vot+a/2 t2"
In the spirit of understanding where formulas come from could you derive that from the equations I am using to derive my solution?

I[/QUOTE]
Your solution is wrong. for g, you have to use the positive value, g=9.8 m/s2.

Hi all...

Tangent = sin/cos = sin*1/cos that is just rewriting the expression. It does not change the value.

[tex]{ y }_{ f }\quad =\quad -\frac { 1 }{ 2 } g{ \frac { x }{ \left( v\cos { \left( \theta \right) } \right) } }^{ 2 }+\left( v\sin { \left( \theta \right) } \right) \frac { x }{ \left( v\cos { \left( \theta \right) } \right) } \quad +\quad { y }_{ 1 }\quad =-\frac { 1 }{ 2 } g{ \frac { x }{ \left( v\cos { \left( \theta \right) } \right) } }^{ 2 }+\frac { v }{ v } \frac { \sin { \left( \theta \right) } }{ \left( \cos { \left( \theta \right) } \right) } x+y1\quad =-\frac { 1 }{ 2 } g{ \frac { x }{ \left( v\cos { \left( \theta \right) } \right) } }^{ 2 }+\tan { \left( \theta \right) } x+y1[/tex]

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=-1/2(-9.81)*(x/(v*cos(30)))^2+v*sin(30)*x/(v*cos(30))+y1=0,+x=16.5,+v=6+solve+for+y1

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=-1/2(-9.81)*(x/(v*cos(30)))^2+sin(30)/(cos(30))*x+y1=0,+x=16.5,+v=6+solve+for+y1

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=-1/2(-9.81)*(x/(v*cos(30)))^2+tan(30)*x+y1=0,+x=16.5,+v=6+solve+for+y1

pemby said:
"The formula for the displacement in case of uniformly accelerating motion is y=vot+a/2 t2"

In the spirit of understanding where formulas come from, could you derive that from the equations I am using to derive my solution?
If you start with the assumption that acceleration ##a_y## is constant, you can derive the equation ##\Delta y = v_{0_y} \Delta t + \frac 12 a_y \Delta t^2##. In the case of free fall, following the usual sign conventions, you have ##a_y = -g## where the minus sign denotes the direction of the acceleration and ##g=+9.80~\rm{m/s^2}## is the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the possible cause of being off by one decimal in my work?

There could be a few reasons for this error. It could be a mistake in converting units, rounding errors, or incorrect calculations. It is important to carefully check each step of your work to identify the source of the error.

How can I find the error in my work?

To find the error, you can try double-checking your calculations, using a different method to solve the problem, or asking a colleague to review your work. It may also be helpful to take a break and come back to your work with a fresh perspective.

Is it a significant error if I am off by one decimal?

It depends on the context of your work and the level of precision required. In some cases, being off by one decimal may not make a significant difference, but in others it could greatly impact the accuracy of your results. It is important to strive for accuracy in scientific work.

How can I prevent being off by one decimal in the future?

To prevent this type of error, it is important to double-check your work, use reliable sources for conversions and formulas, and be aware of potential sources of error. It is also helpful to carefully document your work and any changes you make during the process.

What steps can I take to correct the error in my work?

If you have identified the source of the error, you can correct it by making the necessary adjustments in your calculations. If you are still unable to find the error, it may be helpful to seek guidance from a mentor or consult additional resources for problem-solving techniques.