1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am stuck on evaluating the limit of a rational function

1. Mar 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate the limit: [tex]lim_{(x)\rightarrow(2)}\frac{x^2+x-6}{sqrt(x+4)-sqrt(6)}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've drawn the graph which indicates that the at x=2, y=0, so 0 would seem to be the limit.
    I could not, however, get the limit expression by algebraic manipulation to get to 0.

First of all, I rationalized the denominator to give x-2, which is a common factor of the numerator and the denominator. But canceling this, I am left with the expression:

after the [tex]lim_{(x)\rightarrow(2)}\frac{x-2}{x-2}[/tex] comes to 1.

I may have missed something crucial, so I just can't get the limit to be 0

Any help is greatly appreciated,
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

Try again - the limit is not zero. Your simplification is correct.
  4. Mar 8, 2010 #3

Science Advisor

That is NOT, by the way, a rational function.
  5. Mar 8, 2010 #4
    @statdad The graph shows that at x=2, y=0. How is this explained?

@ HallsofIvy Why not? I thought it can be expressed in the form p/q where p and q are real. Or if there are irrational numbers anywhere, does this make it void?
  6. Mar 8, 2010 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A rational function is a ratio of polynomials.
  7. Mar 8, 2010 #6

Homework Helper

Check your graph again. the one i've attached doesn't show that: in fact, there is no point on the graph at x = 2 because of the denominator.
    A rational number is a ratio p/q where both numerator and denominator are integers. A rational expression is a fraction in which both numerator and denominator are polynomials.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook