I am stuck on evaluating the limit of a rational function

In summary, The limit at x=2 for the expression lim_{(x)\rightarrow(2)}\frac{x^2+x-6}{sqrt(x+4)-sqrt(6)} is not zero and cannot be simplified to zero through algebraic manipulation. The graph of the expression also does not indicate that the limit is zero. The expression is not a rational function as it contains irrational numbers in the denominator.
Charismaztex

Homework Statement

Evaluate the limit: [tex]lim_{(x)\rightarrow(2)}\frac{x^2+x-6}{sqrt(x+4)-sqrt(6)}[/tex]

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I've drawn the graph which indicates that the at x=2, y=0, so 0 would seem to be the limit.
I could not, however, get the limit expression by algebraic manipulation to get to 0.

First of all, I rationalized the denominator to give x-2, which is a common factor of the numerator and the denominator. But canceling this, I am left with the expression:

[tex]lim_{(x)\rightarrow(2)}((x+3)(sqrt(x+4)+sqrt(6))[/tex]

after the [tex]lim_{(x)\rightarrow(2)}\frac{x-2}{x-2}[/tex] comes to 1.

I may have missed something crucial, so I just can't get the limit to be 0

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Charismaztex

Physics news on Phys.org
Try again - the limit is not zero. Your simplification is correct.

That is NOT, by the way, a rational function.

@statdad The graph shows that at x=2, y=0. How is this explained?

@ HallsofIvy Why not? I thought it can be expressed in the form p/q where p and q are real. Or if there are irrational numbers anywhere, does this make it void?

A rational function is a ratio of polynomials.

Charismaztex said:
@statdad The graph shows that at x=2, y=0. How is this explained?

Check your graph again. the one I've attached doesn't show that: in fact, there is no point on the graph at x = 2 because of the denominator.
@ HallsofIvy Why not? I thought it can be expressed in the form p/q where p and q are real. Or if there are irrational numbers anywhere, does this make it void?

A rational number is a ratio p/q where both numerator and denominator are integers. A rational expression is a fraction in which both numerator and denominator are polynomials.

Attachments

• thegraph.pdf
    44.2 KB · Views: 189

What is a rational function?

A rational function is a mathematical function that can be expressed as a ratio of two polynomial functions. It can be written in the form f(x) = P(x)/Q(x), where P(x) and Q(x) are polynomial functions and Q(x) is not equal to 0.

What does it mean to evaluate the limit of a rational function?

Evaluating the limit of a rational function means finding the value that the function approaches as the input (x) approaches a specific value. This value is known as the limit and can be used to determine the behavior of the function near that input value.

How do I evaluate the limit of a rational function?

To evaluate the limit of a rational function, you can use the properties of limits, such as direct substitution, factoring, and finding common factors. You can also use L'Hôpital's rule or graphing to determine the limit.

What are some common challenges when evaluating the limit of a rational function?

Some challenges when evaluating the limit of a rational function include identifying when the function is undefined, determining the type of indeterminate form, and using the correct method to solve the limit. It is also essential to be careful with algebraic manipulations and to consider any restrictions on the domain of the function.

Are there any tips for solving difficult limits of rational functions?

Yes, some tips for solving difficult limits of rational functions include factoring, finding common factors, using the conjugate method, and simplifying the function before attempting to evaluate the limit. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with different limit-solving techniques.