I built a 3 stage PWM solar charger using an arduino

In summary, the conversation discusses a project that an electrical engineering student has been working on during summer break. The project is a PWM charger and the student is seeking feedback and questions from others. The project is not for school but rather something the student has been wanting to complete for a while. The charger is designed to have lighting run off the battery at night and is meant to charge lead acid batteries. The group also discusses the possibility of charging other battery types and the importance of current sensing for safety.
Jamesr
I am an electrical engineering student. I have been on summer break for a few weeks now and I had time to work on my project. This is not a school project but something I had wanted to complete for a while. I haven’t decided what I am going to do with it yet. I just built it for the fun of it. Please tell me what you guys think and ask questions. The link --> http://jr.120v.ac/pwm_charger_project/pwm_charger.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello James - Looks very good! -- Keep this documented well, as employers look for what you can DO as much as what you know! -- I would add web accessible data log, let the arduino report energy converted, battery condition etc - so you can show it off !

Likes Jamesr
Looks pretty cool. I'm assuming Rsc is effectively your current limit.

I'll assume you always stay below the gassing voltage, and that lead Acid batteries do OK with the current pulses during topping and float.

If you float for too long you may have issues. (but maybe it is being used a lot so that is not an issue)

Jamesr said:
Please tell me what you guys think and ask questions.
From meBigGuy's comment
... and that lead Acid batteries do OK...
are you interested in charging other battery types? There's a lot more to batteries than most would think. Battery University has excellent information that may interest you.

Nice.

meBigGuy said:
Looks pretty cool. I'm assuming Rsc is effectively your current limit.

I'll assume you always stay below the gassing voltage, and that lead Acid batteries do OK with the current pulses during topping and float.

If you float for too long you may have issues. (but maybe it is being used a lot so that is not an issue)

I have read a lot of different experiments that were performed on lead acid batteries. UPS sealed lead acid batteries for alarm systems are kept at a constant float voltage for most of their lifespan and they can last for up to 8-10years without damage. The float voltage is precisely controlled according to the temperature to prevent any form of gassing. I have also read that the small pulses to keep the battery at float is good for the battery because it provides desulphation.

This charger was designed to have lighting run off the battery at night so floating will hopefully not be an issue. If I find that it is an issue, a quick change to the code will fix it.

dlgoff said:
From meBigGuy's comment

are you interested in charging other battery types? There's a lot more to batteries than most would think. Battery University has excellent information that may interest you.

I chose lead acid just because they are the cheapest and most tolerant of abuse. Most off grid solar systems use lead acid batteries for energy storage. I would probably have to redesign a new charger to work with other battery types. The charger shown in this thread does not have any way to sense current. I would be uncomfortable trying to charge other batteries such as lithium type without current sensing.

This charger was designed to have lighting run off the battery at night so floating will hopefully not be an issue. If I find that it is an issue, a quick change to the code will fix it.

Likes dlgoff

1. What is a 3 stage PWM solar charger and how does it work?

A 3 stage PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) solar charger is a type of solar charge controller that uses pulse width modulation techniques to regulate the charging of a battery from a solar panel. It works by adjusting the width of the electrical pulses sent from the solar panel to the battery, which helps maintain a stable charging voltage and prevents overcharging.

2. What is an Arduino and how does it play a role in the solar charger?

An Arduino is an open-source microcontroller board that can be programmed to control electronic devices. In this case, it is used to control the charging process of the solar charger by receiving input from the solar panel and adjusting the pulse width accordingly.

3. What are the benefits of using a 3 stage PWM solar charger?

Using a 3 stage PWM solar charger has several benefits, including improved battery life, more efficient charging, and protection against overcharging and battery damage. It also allows for better control over the charging process, making it suitable for various battery types and solar panel setups.

4. Can the 3 stage PWM solar charger be customized or modified?

Yes, the 3 stage PWM solar charger can be customized or modified to fit specific needs. The Arduino programming code can be adjusted to change the charging voltage or add additional features, such as a display for monitoring the charging process.

5. Is it possible to build a 3 stage PWM solar charger without using an Arduino?

Yes, it is possible to build a 3 stage PWM solar charger without using an Arduino. However, using an Arduino simplifies the process and allows for more flexibility and customization. Without an Arduino, the charger would need to be manually adjusted and monitored, which may not be as efficient or reliable.