I can only find the value of A-y-component

• Thread starter frozen7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the speakers discuss finding the value of the A-y-component by taking a moment at point C, but are unsure of why they cannot get the same value using the F-y component. The second speaker suggests that the Cy component in the second member has the same line of action as the Dy component, potentially leading to a non-null resultant and no equilibrium. They plan to double check their calculations and will provide a proper answer later.
frozen7
After separate the diagram to several parts, I can only find the value of A-y-component = 175N by taking moment at C. But how come I can't get that value if I use F-y component = 0??

Attachments

• structures.JPG
    structures.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 471
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes i know what you mean. In the 2nd member BDC, the Cy component has the same line of action as the Dy component by the disk, therefore making it has the same magnitude or modulus. Looks like a non-null resultant, like there's no equilibrium.

I will check again later, in case i miscalculated.

Last edited:
Is the given answer correct or false?

frozen7 said:
Is the given answer correct or false?

I will have to get back to you with a proper answer later today or tomorrow, i have some work plans that require my inmediate attention.

Related to I can only find the value of A-y-component

1. What does "I can only find the value of A-y-component" mean?

The phrase "I can only find the value of A-y-component" refers to a situation where a person is able to determine the value of the vertical component (y-component) of a vector A, but not the horizontal component (x-component).

2. Why is it important to know both components of a vector?

Knowing both components of a vector is important because it allows for the accurate representation of the vector's direction and magnitude. Without both components, the vector cannot be fully described or used in calculations.

3. How can one find the value of the A-y-component?

The value of the A-y-component can be found using trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine, or by using vector addition or subtraction with known components of other vectors.

4. What if I can only find the magnitude and direction of the vector?

If you only have the magnitude and direction of the vector, you can use trigonometry to calculate the components. The x-component can be found by multiplying the magnitude by the cosine of the direction angle, and the y-component can be found by multiplying the magnitude by the sine of the direction angle.

5. Can the A-y-component be negative?

Yes, the A-y-component can be negative. This indicates that the vector is pointing downwards or in the negative direction on the y-axis. The negative sign is important for accurately representing the direction and magnitude of the vector.